July 2014 gradings out

General discussions about ratings.
MartinCarpenter

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Extremely sensible looking changes :) Commendable.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Agree with the consensus - sensible changes that have come about after listening to people. Why can't the ECF be like this more often? :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:54 am

Of course the other potential "advantage" of the reversion to a rolling list is that it opens up the prospect of even more frequent lists once the reporting procedures are sufficiently automated (and can cope with leagues). (of course any drive to more frequent lists MUST give adequate consideration to the effect on grading limited tournaments).

It seems this revision has been perfectly timed to coincide with my career high :)

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 pm

"At present category A grades are calculated by averaging the grading points from the most recent 30 games. Starting in January the averaging will be over all games in the previous two grading periods. This change will mean that category X will become redundant."

Category 'X' is based on all games (30+) played in the lastest halfyear. Can someone please clarify:
If someone plays 30+ games in July to December will his January grade be based on just them, or will it include all his games from the previous halfyear Jan to June as well?

ps: I should have said I too like the changes in point 2:
"At present, grades in categories lower than A are calculated over the most recent 30 games, assuming that the player has played more than 30 games in the last three years. In January we will revert to the system used till January 2011. There will no longer be a cut-off point part way through a grading period. Instead, the system will take as many games from each prior period as it needs in order to make 30 games, but they will use grading points for the average per game for the earliest period used"

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Dragoljub Sudar wrote:" Can someone please clarify:
If someone plays 30+ games in July to December will his January grade be based on just them, or will it include all his games from the previous halfyear Jan to June as well?
The intention is to abolish the X classification, which has the effect that all grades contain a minimum period of 12 months. It is expected to have the desirable or possibly undesirable effect of bring greater stability to the grades of the most active players. So if you have a good Spring, followed by a poor Autumn and a good Spring, that will stay with you as "average" for two lists running.

It's likely to cause lagging effects for rapidly improving players, but with most of those being Juniors, they have a separate set of rules anyway.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Richard Haddrell wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:There are definitely some games omitted from the Cannock League. On checking the list of events received for 2013/14, it appears that the results from the second half of the season have not been received.
The Cannock & District League is one of the missing events the ECF knows about, and it will be in the August list. Before anyone asks, the other is the Wolverhampton & District Summer League 2014 and I hope it will. I give no details. Specifics are for private correspondence.
Hi Richard, we had the committee meeting today at our club, can I just say on the record thanks for all your hard work at very short notice to get the grading issues sorted out. I know a forum post saying: "thanks" really isn't much, but trust me when I say that the committee members at our club really did appreciate it. You were thanked during the committee meeting so your probably get a mention on the minutes!

Hopefully you will also know that Roy Smith and Matthew Carr are doing the job from now on.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:55 pm

I find it confusing that the grading year runs from 1 June to 31 May, and yet the grading list is issued twice a year with completely different grades on. This seems to make calculating ones own grade much more difficult than it used to be, or am I missing something ( quite possibly. )

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:I find it confusing that the grading year runs from 1 June to 31 May
Two grading half years. From 1st July to 31st December and 1st January to 30th June.