Grading Changes for January 2015 list

General discussions about ratings.
Christopher Kreuzer

Grading Changes for January 2015 list

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm starting a new topic here to point to the announcement made on 5 September 2014 by Brian Valentine (ECF Manager of Grading):

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... f=31&t=177

The changes are to the averaging for category A and category X grades (over 12 months rather than over last 30 games or last grading period). To change from a cut-off to an average (i.e. dropping the countback method in favour of an average over the extra periods needed). And a new category F grade.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Grading Changes for January 2015 list

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I'm starting a new topic here to point to the announcement made on 5 September 2014 by Brian Valentine (ECF Manager of Grading):
Something I noticed when I read the grading FAQ again. It might be obsolete with the recent changes, but it concerns people who take an entire season off. The implication of the FAQ is that they are treated as new players in their resumption season. So if that's still correct, there's a definite discontinuity between players playing one game, who will retain their previous grade and players playing none, who don't. These people will still have a grade in the Master List, but it's not published.

The publication test of a minimum number of one game had been put in so as not to publish grades changing for deceased players.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 am

Might as well ask. I have recently beaten a 43F player.

Do F grades get treated in the same way as say if I had beaten a 43A player?

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:14 am

Guess not (just this minute found what I was looking for.) So F grades are treated as ungraded for future calculations.