:D

Richard Bates

Re: The January Grading List is out!

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Has been since this morning ;)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Has been since this morning ;)
Yes, but you didn't draw our attention to it, Ray did.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:Has been since this morning ;)
Yes, but you didn't draw our attention to it, Ray did.
Sorry it was a joke - I thought about it (even posted and then deleted) but decided to let the team complete in their own time (the CSV file had been uploaded without showing the link)

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:25 pm

The grades are based on 12 months of chess. Why do they not list the games that have been graded as opposed to those since July?

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:54 am

My new best ever chess grade of 121. My previous grade was 105, an improvement of 16.

I am also in the top 100 in standard improvement (which is 16th if you exclude the juniors.)

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:56 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:The grades are based on 12 months of chess. Why do they not list the games that have been graded as opposed to those since July?
All the games are listed for all years back to 2003-4! It's split in the traditional way from when we only produced one list a year.

Brian
Manager of ECF Grading

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:17 am

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:20 am

All the games are listed for all years back to 2003-4! It's split in the traditional way from when we only produced one list a year.
Yep I get that.

On the grading list it says for me last 12 months 68 games graded. Click on the link next to it and it only shows those to July. So you then have to manually work out by the drop down which games may/may not have been included. The drop down splits the games by event and some events straddle the 12 months.

Just a suggestion but I would keep the drop down as is, but the link next to the number of graded games change it to show exactly which games are included in the latest grading. Not sure how easy that is as a database query but makes it easier to see which games have been included.

The website is very good considering the barriers to cross to get such online.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:20 am

David Blower wrote:My new best ever chess grade of 121. My previous grade was 105, an improvement of 16.

I am also in the top 100 in standard improvement (which is 16th if you exclude the juniors.)
Well done David, keep up the improvement
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:56 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:
Yep I get that.

On the grading list it says for me last 12 months 68 games graded. Click on the link next to it and it only shows those to July. So you then have to manually work out by the drop down which games may/may not have been included. The drop down splits the games by event and some events straddle the 12 months.

Just a suggestion but I would keep the drop down as is, but the link next to the number of graded games change it to show exactly which games are included in the latest grading. Not sure how easy that is as a database query but makes it easier to see which games have been included.

The website is very good considering the barriers to cross to get such online.
Gavin,
We are still trying to rebuild after the big crash of 2015. We are very confident that the calculations are correct. Obviously, the calculations are only as good as the data in the system. If the every game is listed, with a 2015 date, with the correct opponent and result then the calculation will be correct. Our priority is to give this basic information for review. It's not perfect and there are improvements in the pipeline.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:15 am

I have a question - I noticed several games of mine against opponents with well established grades where estimates (generally lower ) were used instead of their actual ratings. What is with that? I probably lost at least a point because of it.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:17 am

Joey Stewart wrote:I have a question - I noticed several games of mine against opponents with well established grades where estimates (generally lower ) were used instead of their actual ratings.
They are still using the fudge of treating all juniors, no matter how experienced or highly graded as new players. The previous published will have included an age related improvement factor, which they may not have actually earned by their results.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:20 am

I thought the age improvement factor should be estimating them higher, not lower. That makes juniors just as deflationary to the system as they used to be, and worse still if it is intentionally done, as the previous problem was at least outside of anybodies control.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 am

Joey Stewart wrote: That makes juniors just as deflationary to the system as they used to be
You miss the point of the fudge. Junior grades that are published aren't used for calculations anywhere, so have no inflationary or deflationary effect. They can get away with it because the proportion of juniors with significant grades to adults is so small. For junior only events, the resulting grades will be in a correct order for recent results, but will only link to adult grades through the results of players who play in both.

For juniors, the use made of their grade is determining eligibility for restricted events, seeded pairings, board orders etc.