New Grading List

General discussions about ratings.
E Michael White

Re: New Grading List

Post by E Michael White » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:28 pm

NickFaulks wrote: If these twelve games were the only information we had, then 259 might in some sense be a best estimate, although hardly "pretty accurate". However, they're not. He has played hundreds of FIDE rated games, and the results indicate that he has been approaching IM strength and probably is now there. 2640 equivalent, no chance.
ECF 259E shouldn't be compared with a FIDE grade. ECF grades particularly juniors are more performance grades comparable to TPRs.
Roger de Coverly wrote:For some of his games, Nick Pert plays similar or the same opposition and achieved a 256 grade with a handful of draws.
That's one useful way of dealing with high percentage or 100% scores. A modified Kolmogorov test could be used to assess reasonableness. A comparison v James Adair 258 would also be a good indicator, he and Minko won v the same IM.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:37 pm

He has just drawn with Dan Fernandez Novi Sad GM
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Mick Norris wrote:He has just drawn with Dan Fernandez Novi Sad GM
"Just drawn"? They played in round 1 on 22 July and have played up to round 7 now. The Chinese IM Fang is destroying the opposition, and presumably on course for a GM norm.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:He has just drawn with Dan Fernandez Novi Sad GM
"Just drawn"? They played in round 1 on 22 July and have played up to round 7 now. The Chinese IM Fang is destroying the opposition, and presumably on course for a GM norm.
Yes, just drawn, as in current tournament (i have been to London and back since Friday :lol: )
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Has anyone actually looked at the "games" in the Novi Sad tournament? Travesty!

Round Seven:-

Minko v Dobrov 1/2 - 1/2 (7 moves)
Annaberdiev v Dimitrov 1/2 - 1/2 (10 moves)
Fernandez v Pikula 1/2 - 1/2 (7 moves)
Drazic v Lundin 1/2 - 1/2 (11 moves)
Rogac v Fang 0-1 (37 moves)

Every round is the same - a few obscenely short draws and one , maybe two, decisive games. I pick, for example, Round Five where they really went at it hammer and tongues.

Dimitrov v Dobrov 1/2- 1/2 (7 moves)
Minko v Fang 1/2 - 1/2 (6 moves)
Annaberdiev v Pikula 1/2 - 1/2 (8 moves)
Rogac v Lundin 1/2 - 1/2 (36 moves)
Fernandez v Drazic 1/2 - 1/2 (23 moves)

Minko, on his way to an IM Norm could play less than 100 moves in nine games. As well as the above superhuman efforts he drew with Fernandez (14 moves), Drazic (9 moves), beat Lundin (42 moves) and halved with Dimitrov (7 moves). So 85 moves played in seven games - a couple of seven move draws should seal it!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Is there any incentive for Minko or even Daniel to submit results from abroad to be ECF graded?
Norms being based on FIDE.
There is a charge isn't there?
Is Minko actually worried about his ECF grade?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:44 pm

Nick Grey wrote:Is there any incentive for Minko or even Daniel to submit results from abroad to be ECF graded?
Norms being based on FIDE.
There is a charge isn't there?
Is Minko actually worried about his ECF grade?
As Minko isn't an ECF member he's not eligible to have his overseas games graded. (If he was a member there would be no charge.)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:53 am

Neil Graham wrote:Has anyone actually looked at the "games" in the Novi Sad tournament? Travesty!
I hope this is faulty transmission. If not, any norms are likely to be questioned.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:24 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:Has anyone actually looked at the "games" in the Novi Sad tournament? Travesty!
I hope this is faulty transmission. If not, any norms are likely to be questioned.
I think not - a stitch-up!

Round eight games:-

Dobrov - Lundin 1- 0 (36 moves)
Pikula - Drazic 1/2 - 1/2 (11 moves)
Fang - Fernandez 1/2-1/2 (6 moves)
Dimitrov-Rogac 1/2-1/2 (8 moves)
Minko - Annaberdiev 1/2-1/2 (12 moves)

There is an IM tournament being run alongside this grandmaster norm event - the games in there are being played properly; two English players (Michael Fernandez and Stephen Whatley) are playing in the IM norm event. The tournament organiser is GM Drazic who is playing in the GM event. He has already drawn with Fang today - Fang winning on 6.5/9!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Can the games be seen live?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:48 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Can the games be seen live?
The Round Eight games were today starting at 10.00 am - the Round Nine game between Fang and Drazic has already been "played" and drawn which no doubt gives Fang a nine round all-play-all GM norm.

I have looked at Drazic's webpage and although the event is mentioned there looks to be no live link http://www.drazic.co.rs/en/

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
The Round Eight games were today starting at 10.00 am - the Round Nine game between Fang and Drazic has already been "played" and drawn which no doubt gives Fang a nine round all-play-all GM norm.

I have looked at Drazic's webpage and although the event is mentioned there looks to be no live link http://www.drazic.co.rs/en/
Incidentally as Minko played 12 moves today he will have to only play 3 moves to finish the tournament in less than 100 moves! I am assuming, although I haven't looked, that 5/9 will be sufficient for an IM norm for him?

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:07 am

Neil Graham wrote:

Can I slightly correct the above? Fang scored 7/9 (+5,=4) which is a GM norm result. His early Round Nine game which gave him the required 1/2 pt hadn't been entered in the cross table. He won his first four games perfectly legitimately and beat Rogac in Round Seven. As for his six moves draws with Fernandez and Minko - well Fang's ain't what they used to be.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:43 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Needs investigation this one.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:

Can I slightly correct the above? Fang scored 7/9 (+5,=4) which is a GM norm result. His early Round Nine game which gave him the required 1/2 pt hadn't been entered in the cross table. He won his first four games perfectly legitimately and beat Rogac in Round Seven. As for his six moves draws with Fernandez and Minko - well Fang's ain't what they used to be.
The Round Nine games included

Rogac v Minko 1/2-1/2 (10 moves)
Drazic v Fang 1/2-1/2 (8 moves)
Lundin v Pikula 1/2-1/2 (13 moves)

So in the GM tournament 31 of the 45 games were drawn; mostly in under 15 moves. Even some of the 14 decisive games weren't exactly brilliancies (Annaberdiev v Rogac was 1-0 although the position was absolutely equal - one assumes a loss on time; Lundin v Annaberdiev which was Lundin's only win where Black lost by a one move blunder when winning).

This originally began as a comment on Minko & has gone off at a tangent; I'll post the links to the tournament results on the International page.