Monthly Grading Lists

General discussions about ratings.
John Upham

Re: Monthly Grading Lists

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:57 pm

I might be able to squeeze it in for £89K :lol:

I would like to have it PMd by the same guys who PM NHS and MoD IT projects. The overspend would be 1000%, the system would never go live and it would be bloatware that would never work even if it do go live : a contractors dream but a customers nightmare. The system would be designed on the 19th hole and be of no use to anyone. :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Brent Smith

Post by Brent Smith » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 pm

Hmmmm, maybe £88k, but that would have to be without any fancy colour schemes! That's my last offer, only available for a limited time.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm

OK, £87.5K with no use of CSS and Times Roman throughout with Black fonts on a Black background ; ideal for printing. :lol:

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:06 pm

£87k. I can beat that by using white fonts on a white background. Saves printing full-stop! :P
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

JamesMurphy

Post by JamesMurphy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:21 pm

John Upham wrote:OK, £87.5K with no use of CSS and Times Roman throughout with Black fonts on a Black background ; ideal for printing. :lol:
Very funny guys.... but the reason the cost is soo much is likely to be recurring costs for support (not all is paid up front) and as with many real-time projects maintenance 24/7 is required to make sure results are kept up-to-date and the system is kept live. To write the project is probably only half the original cost.

As far as the NHS project being overbudget I'm not really sure what happened. I have a guy who now works for us and helped project manage part of it and apparently the problem was because the specs changed so often and that so many different parts of the NHS quarrelled over getting priorities for things. Thankfully that wouldn't be the case for this kind of project so going over budget is unlikely unless the specification is changed (even what appear to be small changes can end up incurring large cost).
http://www.jmblogger.com - My blog, chess, film and life
http://www.chorltonchess.com - the Home of Chorlton Chess Club

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:43 pm

JamesMurphy wrote:To write the project is probably only half the original cost.
If what you are talking about is a domestic (as in England only) Elo based rating system with monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly listings, then you could do worse, much worse than just licensing the Fide system (not that Fide have ever offered it for domestic lists). http://ratings.fide.com/

For an example of a player listing
http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2009-09-01

You wouldn't abandon a national system because the rules for inclusion on the international list are more stringent than the ECF's.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:01 pm

One of the major specifications for an NHS or MoD IT project is that the goal posts are constantly on the move, never having been located in the first place. :shock:

The projects are designed to make very large amounts of money for the various parties involved but there never is any intention to actually move the solution into production. If, God forbid it ever made production it would never be agreed as to what the SLA was or who supported it :lol:

After many years of IT budget spend the penny will drop that the solution is no longer appropriate, the project will be binned and a new tender process will start and the same old vendors will submit their tenders and the process continues, ad infinitum

There is no need for code obfuscation since it will be have been written obfuscated by design. :lol:

Another three pendula (?) that constantly swing are :

To outsource or to insource : currently outsourcing to India is the flavour of the month
To go Open Source or to go propriety : this depends on the currently enlightenment of this months CTO
To go distributed or go mainframe : mainframe has it this month so IBM shares it is for me but it will be Oracle / Sun shares for next year

Normally the pattern is : We need to spend more money so let's change to whatever we are not currently doing... :oops:

The world of big business IT is hilarious from this perspective but it does keep people in employment I guess! :D

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 pm

I know you are not seriously thinking of rewriting the grading system but it would need to start at a different place if you were.

Talking to system developers would be expensive when the underlying calculation processes, methods for allowing for new starters and correcting for deflation are clearly not adequate. Tweaks like switching to montly ratings wont solve any of those problems.