new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

General discussions about ratings.
Paul McKeown

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Mike,

I'm sure Brandon is a big new talent going places, too, and I wish him the best. It would be nice for the ECF to have a new Short or Adams, after all.

What bothers me, though, is the use of the results of an exceptional player as some sort of "proof" that the grading system, as recently abused, is okay after all.

Regards,
Paul McKeown.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:What bothers me, though, is the use of the results of an exceptional player as some sort of "proof" that the grading system, as recently abused, is okay after all.
Certainly not. But I do think there's some value in keeping an eye on the results of players whose new grades raised eyebrows at the time. Proves nothing, but helps to keep things in perspective.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:49 am

Paul McKeown wrote:Mike,

I'm sure Brandon is a big new talent going places, too, and I wish him the best. It would be nice for the ECF to have a new Short or Adams, after all.

What bothers me, though, is the use of the results of an exceptional player as some sort of "proof" that the grading system, as recently abused, is okay after all.

Regards,
Paul McKeown.
I think, Paul, that you need to read the thread again. Far from using Brandon as proof of the integrity of the new grading system, his rise in grade was being quoted by grading sceptics as proof that the system was busted.

It is that false premise that I hope has finally been put to bed.