Geoff Naldrett

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Brendan O'Gorman

Geoff Naldrett

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed May 15, 2024 3:47 pm

Colin and Rebecca Gardiner asked me to post this tribute to the late Geoff Naldrett who died on 9 December 2023.

“Geoff’s been a good friend of ours for many years and played regularly in the Guernsey tournament. He will be missed by his many friends”.

Geoff was a stalwart member of the Insurance Chess club and will be missed by his colleagues there including Martin Page and David Sedgwick.

There's an obituary on the Gerrard's Cross Club website https://www.gerrardscrosschessclub.org.uk/news/. I notice they give one of Geoff's games, played at Gibraltar in 2013 which was printed in The Times and Chess magazine.

One of Geoff's claims to fame came in 1972 when, virtually on a whim, he caught a flight to Reykjavik to see the world championship match. I believe Stewart Reuben took Geoff under his wing while he was there.

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: Geoff Naldrett

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed May 15, 2024 4:00 pm

Geoff Naldrett (thumbnail).jpg
Geoff playing at Paignton in 2012.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Wed May 15, 2024 5:26 pm

Very sad news.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Wed May 15, 2024 10:21 pm

We were friends on Facebook and saw each other at Paignton Congress when held at Oldway Mansion. Very true friend sadly lost now

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sat May 18, 2024 10:08 pm

Very sad news. I knew Geoff from way back in my days at Bracknell Chess Club, and Berkshire chess, and I think a couple of Hastings, and I saw him in more recent years at Chiltern League matches. A very pleasant chap.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun May 19, 2024 8:53 pm

Sad news - I believe he was Secretary of Slough Hockey Club (one of the top clubs in the country) as well.

John Torrance

Post by John Torrance » Thu May 23, 2024 11:57 am

I vaguely remember, (one year at the Paignton Congress), Geoff amusing a few of us, with the story of his 1972 journey to Reykjavik, for the Fischer - Spassky. World Championship Match.

Geoff had booked the " travel package " through Baruch Wood (Chess Magazine's owner), who I believe, had then forgotten about this. Geoff duly turned up at Heathrow Airport, to much surprise. Then after some clarification, boarded the flight, and was seated between Mr. Wood, and the ex World Chess Champion- Max Euwe, the then President of Fide !

A pleasant and interesting journey, ensued !

RIP Sir

John Torrance