Queen Elizabeth II

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:40 pm

If we are doing CHESS magazine history, when I went through the old issues from 1935-60 a while back now ISTR that the first issue after George VI's passing had a very sombre cover, and the masthead was then changed to a more "Elizabethan" style before becoming the familiar lettering retained for the rest of the B H Wood era around 1955 (soon after it switched to a smaller format)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:17 pm

John Townsend wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:53 pm
But the Derby eluded her. In her Coronation year, 1953, Aureole finished second for her. What a popular victory that might have been, which would have raised the Epsom rafters.
Possibly just as great a sentimental favourite at the time would have been the winning rider Sir Gordon Richards (on Pinza). Despite being champion jockey no less than 26 times, he'd never managed to win the Derby up till then, and had already announced that the 1953 one would be his last.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:39 pm

Apropos nothing much, my Grandmother was one of the hoi polloi present for this . She, a keen royalist, told the story of seeing a horse bowing to the queen from time to time.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:50 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:40 pm
If we are doing CHESS magazine history, when I went through the old issues from 1935-60 a while back now ISTR that the first issue after George VI's passing had a very sombre cover, and the masthead was then changed to a more "Elizabethan" style before becoming the familiar lettering retained for the rest of the B H Wood era around 1955 (soon after it switched to a smaller format)
I happen to have bound copies of Chess from January through September 1952. Covers for Jan and Feb have the title in the familiar wedge-shaped format, covering almost half its area and in solid colour. That for Feb (which presumably went to press before the 6th) is in bright yellow. On the March cover there's a photo of rows of chessmen, in a subdued shade I can only describe as dark puce, with the wedge-shaped title superimposed in white lettering. Then, as Matt says, subsequent covers displayed the title in what he calls the "Elizabethan" style, with all the letters the same size, though in different colours each time.

(The photo for the March 1952 cover had been used several times before, but usually printed in a livelier colour - notably bright green with red lettering for December 1950.)
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:03 pm

Further to the discussion which we had in this place one year ago about the late Queen's racehorses, the 2023 St. Leger has just been run at Doncaster, attended by KIng Charles, and I am happy to note that his Desert Hero ran on in the final furlong to finish a creditable third.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:48 pm

John Townsend wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:03 pm
Further to the discussion which we had in this place one year ago about the late Queen's racehorses, the 2023 St. Leger has just been run at Doncaster, attended by KIng Charles, and I am happy to note that his Desert Hero ran on in the final furlong to finish a creditable third.
I notice the horse that came sixth in the St Leger today was called Chesspiece.