IM Michael Basman

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
NickFaulks

Re: IM Michael Basman

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:24 pm

I played in a simul given by Kasparov where the last opponent left was defending a possibly drawn ending. GK banged out his moves and leaned over the board glaring at them. I mentioned to the organiser that I recalled Boris Spassky, in a similar situation, calling for a glass of wine and standing aside to allow his opponent to think. "Oh yes, but Spassky is a gentleman".
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:11 pm

The implication being that Kasparov isn't.

I was lucky. Karpov had blundered a pawn, and I ended up in an ending which even I couldn't lose. Draw.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:18 am

I only encountered the story re Mike grabbing Smyslov by the lapels and bawling at him in the 1968 Olympiad here on June 10th 2023.
By the most amazing coincidence only some 30 mins later an e mail from The Article arrived in my Inbox with a piece by Ray Keene headed

From Cambridge to Lugano: playing Spassky in 1969

which included the very same story!

er, well, perhaps not that amazing given some of the others I´ve encountered and published (!) :oops:

But I´m sure my friend Michael Basman would appreciate a little bit of whimsy on his Obituary thread! :D

Oh, btw; how many of you knew that Cleo Laine - who recently turned ninety-five - baby sat Mike? He told me he was waiting in the wings to appear on a This Is Your Life show about her but, ultimately, did not appear.