Phil Holt

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Phil Holt

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:07 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Phil Holt passed away on Sunday 6th November 2022 after an extended illness.
Phil has been playing for Olton Chess Club, Birmingham since being introduced by his dad Trevor as a child.
He has been playing on board 1 in Division 1 for Olton in the Birmingham & District Chess League for many years.
He achieved grades in excess of 200 ECF for a number of seasons.
RIP

LawrenceCooper

Re: Phil Holt

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:07 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:07 pm
I am sorry to inform you that Phil Holt passed away on Sunday 6th November 2022 after an extended illness.
Phil has been playing for Olton Chess Club, Birmingham since being introduced by his dad Trevor as a child.
He has been playing on board 1 in Division 1 for Olton in the Birmingham & District Chess League for many years.
He achieved grades in excess of 200 ECF for a number of seasons.
RIP
Very sad news. I played him as a junior (we were both born in 1970) and then as adults in the Birmingham League. He was always a tough but friendly opponent.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:45 am

Sad news indeed and rather a shock.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Very sad news. I played Phil a number of times at Olton Club in the last 7 or 8 years. The chat was always friendly and he'd begin the game by buying me a pint, though I think he was disappointed that I made it a pint of coke last season!

Equally gracious in defeat and victory, Phil was a true gent.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:04 pm

52 is no age, and by the sounds of it his passing wasn't terribly expected?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mark Page

Post by Mark Page » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:10 pm

Shocking and very sad news. I first played Phil only as recently as 2005, but he is still the person I had most competitive games against ever, as we played at least once nearly every year since in Olton-Kenilworth matches in the Leamington League. His record against me of +7 -3 and 6 draws was an accurate reflection of his superior playing strength. He was a formidable opponent and a nice guy, too. He was a tremendously loyal and committed member of Olton Chess Club, and matches against them won't be the same without his presence. It is no exaggeration to say that playing against him had become one of the most important days in my chess year. It is difficult to believe that we will never cross swords again. He will be a massive loss to Birmingham and Warwickshire chess. In recent years he had played the odd 4NCL game for Warwickshire Select and was hoping to turn out more often this season. RIP Phil.

John Pitcher

Post by John Pitcher » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:56 am

So very sorry to hear this news and my deepest condolences to Phil's family and friends.

I played Phil a number of times over the last 25 years. He was one of those players whose moves I found hard to predict! I always though Phil was a naturally strong player who had the potential to be much stronger. Always a friendly and challenging opponent. He will be sadly missed.

Hopefully this link works - a game typical of his tactical ability was this game from Round 10 of the 2018/19 4NCL season against Nigel Birtwistle. Lots of nice little tricks and tactics in this one!

https://www.4ncl.co.uk/replay/1819/div2b_1819.htm#r10

RIP Phil.

John Pitcher

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:24 pm

Mark Page wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:10 pm
Shocking and very sad news. I first played Phil only as recently as 2005, but he is still the person I had most competitive games against ever, as we played at least once nearly every year since in Olton-Kenilworth matches in the Leamington League. His record against me of +7 -3 and 6 draws was an accurate reflection of his superior playing strength. He was a formidable opponent and a nice guy, too. He was a tremendously loyal and committed member of Olton Chess Club, and matches against them won't be the same without his presence. It is no exaggeration to say that playing against him had become one of the most important days in my chess year. It is difficult to believe that we will never cross swords again. He will be a massive loss to Birmingham and Warwickshire chess. In recent years he had played the odd 4NCL game for Warwickshire Select and was hoping to turn out more often this season. RIP Phil.
There is a lengthy tribute to Phil along with a picture, by Richard Reynolds on the Olton Chess Club website in the Latest News Category.
You get a nice mention in the tribute aswell Mark.
http;//www.oltonchessclub.org.uk

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:40 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:24 pm
Mark Page wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:10 pm
There is a lengthy tribute to Phil along with a picture, by Richard Reynolds on the Olton Chess Club website in the Latest News Category.
You get a nice mention in the tribute aswell Mark.
http;//www.oltonchessclub.org.uk
The direct link is: http://www.oltonchessclub.org.uk/pdf/Phil%20Holt.pdf

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:09 pm

The funeral arrangements for Phil Holt have been announced on the Leamington & District Chess League website.
The funeral is on Tuesday 6th December at Robin Hood Crematorium, Streetsbrook Road, Shirley, Solihull, B90 3NL at 12.30pm.
Then to Hall Green Home Guard Club, 21A Doveridge Road, Birmingham, B28 0LS.