Graham Lilley

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Paul Heaton

Graham Lilley

Post by Paul Heaton » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:57 pm

Sad news I see that Graham Lilley has passed away. Funeral on Monday.

http://www.wdcl.co.uk/

Growing up in the north west Graham was a regular on the tournament scene, never letting his blindness hold him back. The random acts of kindness to Graham also showed the best in people - a lift to tournament, or someone taking his arm and leading him to his board.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Graham Lilley

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:15 pm

Well this is sad news.

The one time we met over the board, I played very naively against his beloved Pirc and he despatched me with ease.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

mhebden

Post by mhebden » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:34 pm

Sad sad news;A real hero of the Blind community

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 pm

An amazing character with a truly stunning array of knowledge. After a game we chatted merrily about sport, economics and a bit of chess. After a couple of hours, Graham asked if I could get the women he arrived with. I said "I am terribly sorry, I didn't see you arrive, so I don't know what she looks like" Quick as a flash he responded, "No, neither have I"

He will be much missed, condolences to family and friends.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:56 pm

Agreed with all comments about Graham. He often played the Paignton Congress at Oldway Mansion

Kirk Gornall

Post by Kirk Gornall » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:50 pm

Very sad. I played Graham a few times at chess tournaments in the North West of England back in the 90s. He was a strong player.

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:15 pm

Sad News Indeed. I played Graham about 4 years ago when we were both 178-he impressed me immensely by playing his first 16 or so moves inside ten or so minutes-we drew, but I could see why I had been told he used to be Master strength!
As importantly he seemed a real gentleman and nice guy. It was a pleasure to have met him. Certainly before Chris Ross became the BCA no1 Graham Lilley was for some years its most formidable player.
RIP Graham and Condolences to all who knew him, not least the BCA Members.