Mark Whitehead RIP

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Mick Norris

Mark Whitehead RIP

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:26 pm

I am immensely saddened to report the untimely death of Mark, a genuinely nice guy and many years captain of the Manchester Manticores

Details on the Rochdale website and a photo on the 3Cs website as many congress players may have known Mark by sight but not name

Mark played county chess for Lancs for years, and his bringing together of players in the Manticores helped smooth the path for Greater Manchester to join the NCCU
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Mark Whitehead RIP

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm

Very sorry to hear this. I think I only ever spoke to Mark Whitehead very briefly once but I knew him well by sight - he seemed to be one of these people who was invariably at any congress you attended; whether it was your hometown or at the other end of the country. He clearly lived for chess; I know that he represented Lancashire at county level but like many of his Lancashire colleagues crossed the border to play for Calderdale in the Yorkshire League.

He was invariably wearing a rock/ metal band T shirt so that must have been another passion. Rush seemed to be a particular favourite.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:12 pm

Here is Mark Whitehead RIP, 2013 British Championships, Torquay Round Five:

The T-shirt is for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastodon_(band)

rather than the modern "rival" to Twitter.

_jua6226_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Upham on Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:16 pm

and one more

Mark Whitehead, 2014, British Championships, Aberystwyth, Day 15

jb4_9411_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:18 pm

and another one:

Mark Whitehead RIP, 2013 British Championships, Torquay Round Five

The T-shirt is for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastodon_(band)

rather than the modern "rival" to Twitter.

_jua6227_small.jpg

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear this. A colourful character who will be missed.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:03 pm

Think you posted the same picture/caption twice John?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm
Very sorry to hear this. I think I only ever spoke to Mark Whitehead very briefly once but I knew him well by sight - he seemed to be one of these people who was invariably at any congress you attended; whether it was your hometown or at the other end of the country. He clearly lived for chess; I know that he represented Lancashire at county level but like many of his Lancashire colleagues crossed the border to play for Calderdale in the Yorkshire League.

He was invariably wearing a rock/ metal band T shirt so that must have been another passion. Rush seemed to be a particular favourite.
I think maybe heavy metal concerts came before chess, but Mark was dedicated to chess for Rochdale, Blue Club, and as you rightly add, Calderdale

He played a lot for Lancs

4NCL I think he may have played for NW Eagles originally
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:26 pm

Such sad news. I always enjoyed our humorous exchanges at 4NCLs and before that at weekend tournaments. He also helped me out once by giving one of my players a lift to Manchester airport to save me a Daventry-Manchester Airport-Stafford drive. Checking back on old e-mails we had several exchanges helping each other out by suggesting players. To my surprise I only played him once, in the Isle of Man in 1998.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:31 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:03 pm
Think you posted the same picture/caption twice John?
Look carefully at the images and all will be revealed...

Captions were the same for both images but not all three images.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:22 pm

Sorry to hear this. I did not know Mark well, but his passion for chess was obvious.

Rich Wiltshir

Post by Rich Wiltshir » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:20 pm

Mark Whitehead, one of the finest people on the congress circuit.
I have only good memories of our many long chats and reciprocal micky-taking.
He was first to tell me one list of entrants that placed a T at the end of my surname instead of an R. Thereafter, we always greeted each other as "Mr" as his W was replaced by an S.

He'd put concerts before congresses but often drive miles to appear for his team or be transport for others. One life lesson from Mark, be yourself, is advice he never gave but always showed.

An even-tempered and resilient wit, he is one face (and silhouette) every congress will miss. Mark was vibrant and true, a rare character.

One reason I wanted a post-Covid visit to a chess congress: I owed Mark a pint after leaving him in the company of a fractally tedious local who wanted to talk about his chess exploits but had no idea about the sport. That was the last time we met. Telford 2019

Mark Whitehead, an all-round good egg who'll be missed by all those who knew him.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:34 pm

Many a time I would spot Mark with his pint at a hotel bar, and I'd wander over and join him for what was always a pleasant chat.

The last time was during the July South Wales International. But I think the first time I met Mark was at Port Erin at a heavy metal bar on the walk to the tower. The music was heavy and there he was on the dance floor head-banging away!

A sad loss of an agreeable chap who's presence at so many events I will miss.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:54 am

That is very sad. One of that small bunch of keen Lancashire players I keep running into basically everywhere I play :) Seemed a very nice person. Must have done some very good work organising Manchester manticores.

Somehow ended up playing him much more often in the Yorkshire league.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 am

I've just logged in to the forum and seen this terribly sad news. I believe Mark was only 56 years old.
Although I never played Mark in a serious game, I knew him socially on the chess congress scene.
I was first introduced to Mark by his teammate and close friend at Rochdale Chess Club, Bob Newton, at a Scarborough Congress.
I was invited to join them for a Indian meal followed by drinks around the pubs in Scarborough.Sadly, I was unable to join them.
I always tried to have a quick natter with Mark when I saw him at Scarborough and Blackpool Congresses.
I believe when he played at Blackpool, Mark frequented The Tache Rock Club, which played Heavy Metal music.
Clearly, he had a passion for chess and was one of those unsung heroes, captaining and driving teams.
He will be greatly missed.
RIP