Barry Sandercock

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Ken Norman

Barry Sandercock

Post by Ken Norman » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 am

Barry Sandercock died peacefully yesterday 21st February 2023 at home after a long illness. He was 92 years old.

After he retired Barry became a very active tournament player. He travelled all over England playing as far north as Grange over sands.

He was a regular player at Paignton, Guernsey, Hastings and Amersham. He also played five times in the Isle of Man.

He seemed to find a weekend tournament to enter most weekends. He played abroad several times including Greece and Bregenz in Austria.

He was a very cheerful person and well liked by his many friends. He will be greatly missed.

0ur sympathy goes to ANN his wife of 68 years and his daughter KAY and son-in-law MATT.

MJMcCready

Re: Barry Sandercock

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:15 am

R.I.P Barry, a good fellow.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:24 am

Here is Barry at the Amersham Congress 2012, May 18th - 20th :cry:

i-NQhPHBX-X2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:51 am

My score-books have a game against E. B. Sandercock, Berks. v. Bucks., 27 March 1971. The "E." stands for Edward. The face in John's photo is familiar. R.I.P.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:03 pm

That is sad - Barry was always friendly and cheerful. Sympathy to his friends and family.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:03 pm

Barry was representing Bucks in the SCCU county competitions in the 1970s and probably before that. On the forum he contributed memories from the 1940s and 1950s. One of his bigger scalps was a win against John Littlewood. I think it may have been a British Seniors Championship, but may just have been a side event.
(edit) Found it. It was at the 2006 British in Swansea and in the Week 1 am Open (/edit)

I first played him in 1969 at the Marlow Congress. It was a rather uneventful draw. Later he worked for Rank Xerox in the late 1980s when their HQ was in Marlow.

As Ken said, he was a Congress regular. His last tournament would have been the 2019 Paignton.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:04 pm

That's very sad news. (Many thanks to Ken for posting it.)

Barry was one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet. Like Roger, I remember playing alongside him in the Bucks county team of the late 1960s. In recent years I used to see him in the Isle of Man and always wanted to take him for a trip down memory lane. Despite being a couple of decades older than me, Barry was younger at heart and was rather more focused on chess in the present, but he always humoured me with a story or two from the past. Eventually I persuaded him to share a few games which I posted at BritBase...

https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/s ... iewer.html

... including the win against John Littlewood mentioned by Roger. The other games were from simuls: a loss to Gligoric, but wins against Penrose and Milner-Barry, and draws with Golombek, Nigel Davies and David Howell.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:42 pm

and here is a photo of Barry from the same Amersham Congress:

i-DpfvJRJ-X2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:57 pm

Ah, yes. He looks more alert in the second photo. He's moving in for the kill ..

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:10 pm

Of course most will know, but since it hasn't been pointed out yet I will note that he was also a member of this forum.

(1356 posts, the last in March 2019)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:28 pm

A great man. A gentle man. A lovely man. But as you'll see from the position beneath, he also reserved the right to employ the occasional double-cross!

Barry came to Kos for the ACO Amateurs in 2018 with his wife, daughter & son-in-law - a 90th birthday family treat. He got off to a flying start and was one of the section leaders after four rounds, but maybe time was catching-up and he finished in mid-table. He still had a fantastic time. He was playing chess after all, but apart from that he loved sitting down with his family and chatting about anything other than chess.

But as I said above, he wasn't adverse to the occasional con. Here's one of my favourite endings ever, ever, ever, primarily because of the reaction of his opponent. It comes from the e2e4 Diamond Jubilee Congress in 2012, I think at Gatwick, and it's Barry, as Black to play. Oh, and he's completely lost at this point:

68...Rxg5+ 69.hxg5 Rxg5+ 70.Kxg5 (of course MacDonald arrogantly takes the second rook without hesitation). Stalemate! Barry holds out his hand for a full minute but MacDonald ignores it and refuses to shake hands. MacDonald turns and walks away without so much as a how-do-you-do but two minutes later is led back to the board by Alex Holowczak to grudgingly sign scoresheets and reset the pieces. MacDonald wasn't a happy man at the best of times, this was full on blues, double-wide. Barry and I saw the funnier side!

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:58 pm

I played Barry Sandercock in the first round of the U1900 tournament of the most recent British that I did in 2019 in Torquay. In the same tournament, in the last round, I played Gary Hewitt, who this forum also recently reported as having died. Sadly, it seems that so many of my pre-pandemic opponents are no longer with us.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:32 pm

I was curious to see if EBS had played any D00 openings. Most of them were Colle Systems. However, I was delighted to find one of these:

It seemed fitting... :D

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:59 pm

Sorry to hear this sad news.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:44 pm

"Here's one of my favourite endings ever, ever, ever, primarily because of the reaction of his opponent. It comes from the e2e4 Diamond Jubilee Congress in 2012, I think at Gatwick, and it's Barry, as Black to play."

Thanks David, really nice swindle. However, white should have noticed that after the second rook capture, that both Kh6 and Kh4 win. The former is simpler, 3.Kh6 Rh5+ (3....Rg6+ 4.Bxg6), 4.Kg7 Rg5+ Kf6.

Barry must really have loved that.