Ray Cox

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Ray Cox

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:33 pm

I am sorry to inform you that former Shropshire county elite player Ray Cox has died.
Ray's best achievements included being part of four title-winning Shrewsbury teams in the 1970s, the first success of which dates back more than 50 years.
Despite spending several years away from the game, he returned to Shrewsbury more than three decades later in 2010, where he spent two more seasons playing for the clubs' A and B teams, losing just twice in 11 appearances.
Ray also played for the county's Open team during the 1960s and 1970s, and was part of the Shrewsbury squad that won the Shropshire League in 1971, 1973, 1975 and 1976.
Ray's funeral will be held at St.Peter and St.Paul's Church, High Street, Wem, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY4 5DP, on Thursday 2nd March at 11.30am.
RIP

John Upham

Re: Ray Cox

Post by John Upham » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:22 pm

British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:19 pm

Sad news. I was a child when Ray was at his peak, but I remember him as a modest and gentle soul away from the board, but a ferocious and talented attacker on it (a surprisingly common combination).

My favourite memory of Ray is him winning the Major at the Birmingham congress in 1973 or so, and dropping the enormous trophy as he came down the steps at the prize-giving. The lid fell off and rolled some distance, causing a bit of a scramble to retrieve it. I wonder if anyone else on this board was there and recalls it. Maybe Keith Arkell, though I'm not sure he was playing yet at that time.

Also he was playing (bd 4 I think) when Shropshire beat Worcestershire in 1971, their first victory in a county match since some time in the 1910's IIRC, an event which gave chess locally something of a shot in the arm at the time.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:34 am

John Cox wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:19 pm
Sad news. I was a child when Ray was at his peak, but I remember him as a modest and gentle soul away from the board, but a ferocious and talented attacker on it (a surprisingly common combination).

My favourite memory of Ray is him winning the Major at the Birmingham congress in 1973 or so, and dropping the enormous trophy as he came down the steps at the prize-giving. The lid fell off and rolled some distance, causing a bit of a scramble to retrieve it. I wonder if anyone else on this board was there and recalls it. Maybe Keith Arkell, though I'm not sure he was playing yet at that time.

Also he was playing (bd 4 I think) when Shropshire beat Worcestershire in 1971, their first victory in a county match since some time in the 1910's IIRC, an event which gave chess locally something of a shot in the arm at the time.
Just before my time, John. I learned the way the pieced move just before my 13th birthday ( at the end of 1973), and played my first tournament of any kind in November 1975.