David Lawrence

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
John Torrance

David Lawrence

Post by John Torrance » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:39 am

I am sorry to convey the sad news that David Lawrence has passed away, a few days ago, at Hampton Care Home.

David had been suffering with a long term illness for some years, this limiting his chess activity to casual chess at his local Kingston Chess Club.

David was a longtime member of Kings Head Chess Club, having joined the Club at it's inception from it's original King's Head Pub premises. He played for KH in the Middlesex League in 1978, and in the first KH London League match in 1980.
David proudly retained his original Kings Head membership card, numbered as 2.

For many years, David was employed as a camera operator in the British Film Industry. He worked on many big budget films, such as
"Far from the Madding Crowd", "Grand Prix" and "The Three Musketeers". He also shot Daniela Bianchi's screen test, for the Bond film "From Russia with Love". Listening to his Film anecdotes was interesting and fun.

He will be missed by those who those who knew him.

John Torrance

Roger Lancaster

Re: David Lawrence

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:34 am

Very sorry to hear this as I knew David well from our Kings Head days at a time long ago when, as you say, he was regularly working as a camera man. I also knew his wife, Pat, who sadly died some years ago. Our meetings were initially social over a beer or two, before he took up chess, but he grew into the game and was regularly graded somewhere around the 130 mark (old currency). A nice guy who will be missed.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:20 pm

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:36 pm

A true Gentleman. We played each other at Torquay and Paignton Congresses many times

RIP

Nabil Dada

Post by Nabil Dada » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:55 pm

David Lawrence

Very sorry indeed to hear the sad news. We met at the Kings Head in 1969 via Mike Lewis.
Mike knew David when they were about 12 years old. They travelled together the whole length of Africa from the North down to the South.
Played chess with David at the Kings Head of course, where also met Roger Lancaster who annihilated me in front of a crowded pub by beating me in one game of chess while he was "blind folded".
I stopped playing chess with dear David just after the Spassky and Fischer's World Championship.
My very close friendship with David carried on till I saw him last early this March in Kingston Hospital.
David was a very pleasant gentleman with genuine good principles, David read a lot of books and was very knowledgeable with world affairs.
Since 1969 we met frequently: meeting the late David's Mum & Dad, sister Ann and of course his beloved and wife the late Pat who was very friendly with my wife Sinikka.
David was very proud of their only son Sion. When saw David last he was, as always knew him, very alert and pleasant although he was physically weak with his dreadful ailments, he told me that he was very always very happy to see Sion and Daisy together.

Rest in peace dear friend. I shall miss you.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:19 pm

Great message Nabil.

Sion Lawrence

Post by Sion Lawrence » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:32 pm

Hi this is David's son Sion - thanks so much for posting this and sharing your remembrances, he would be chuffed to "be up on the internet".

For those linked to the Kings Head, I've attached a photo of dad's membership card, even though it was a 2017 renewal it seems to show he was issued as member no.1 - curious if membership numbers are persistent through renewals if anyone is able to verify?

I also found a short history of the Kings Head Chess Club and its origins, as written by the late Andrew Whitely. If this is of interest to anyone please just shout.

And if anyone wishes to attend my dad's funeral please reach out to me via direct message.

All the best,
Sion Lawrence
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.