Harry Lamb RIP

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Mick Norris

Harry Lamb RIP

Post by Mick Norris » Sun May 14, 2023 5:56 pm

I have just received a message with the sad news that Harry died yesterday

He has been ill for quite some time

A fuller reflection will follow in the next few days
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nick Ivell

Re: Harry Lamb RIP

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun May 14, 2023 6:01 pm

Sorry to hear. I never played him; a major figure in the north-west.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun May 14, 2023 6:52 pm

Also never played him, but of course I knew who he was.

Classic example of a "local legend".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun May 14, 2023 10:31 pm

Sad news - I did play him (in 1976...) I know he rattled a few BCF cages, but he was trying to improve things, so good for him. I remember him eagerly getting lots of proxies for a BCF meeting, and causing some alarm!

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Sun May 14, 2023 11:08 pm

Very sad news we played at Paignton many years ago. Very nice person

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon May 15, 2023 8:02 am

Sad news. I played him three times, all at the Crewe weekender in 1999, 2000 and 2002!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 15, 2023 10:09 am

In 2021, Harry was 1 of the 2 first recipients of the Manchester Chess Federation Outstanding Service Award

In 2020, Harry received the ECF President's Award, the nomination from Nick Burrow read;

Harry is a lifelong player with a peak Fide Rating of 2285. He has been the Chairman of Bolton Chess Club for 56 years. Harry has been a team captain in both the Bolton League and Manchester League. Greater Manchester team county player. Was the Founder of the Bolton District Chess League. Wrote chess articles in the local Bolton Evening News paper for a number of years. One of the founder members of the Manchester Chess Federation. President of the Manchester Chess Federation for 2 years 1973-1975. Became an International Chess Arbiter in 1984. Coached many Bolton juniors at Bolton Chess Club in his 56 years at the club. Is the current Chief Arbiter at the Bolton Easter and Bolton Rapidplay Chess Congress and has been for many years. He is the current Congress director of the Manchester Chess Federation Congress, where he has overseen the following rise in entrants.
2016 - 124 players took part In the Manchester Summer Chess Congress
2017 - 138 players took part part in the Manchester Summer Congress
2018 - 151 players took part in the Manchester Summer Congress
2019 - 160 players took part in the Manchester Summer chess Congress.

To add to Nick's list, Harry was Lancashire Secretary from 1964-1974 prior to the formation of the Greater Manchester County Chess Association

Harry was a member of this Forum, and both his sons Ian & Michael are chess players

Harry was a parliamentary candidate for UKIP

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon May 15, 2023 10:32 am

I played Harry 12 times, mostly in weekenders around the country.

He was a hard working servant for chess, who always adhered to his principles. RIP.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue May 16, 2023 9:10 am

Definitely a very fine servant for Manchester chess, and he did always seem one of the sanest ones in the nonsense with GM and Lancs. Fully deserved those lifetime awards.

I never realised he got quite as strong as 2285. I played him 5 times in the Manchester evening league (2005-2016 or so) looking at them I managed more than my fair share of entirely undeserved swindles! Don't remember any complaints.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue May 16, 2023 7:54 pm

I first played Harry back in 1980 in the Manchester League. The game was adjourned, and he invited me to his home to finish the game (a draw). I remember one of his sons being there, a young boy, presumably either Ian or Michael. After my long absence from chess, it was good to see him still active when I resumed in 2011, and we played a few more times since then, but I still never managed better than a draw.

The Manchester chess scene will not be the same without him. RIP.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Tue May 16, 2023 10:05 pm

Sad news.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 22, 2023 11:29 am

ECF from Harry's club colleague Julian Clissold

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:50 pm

Harry's funeral today on a hot sunny day in Bolton; the church service was good, with an excellent eulogy from Harry's son Mike, who was there with his wife; younger son Ian was there, as was Harry's brother

Harry was born on 4 May 1942, and among the things I didn't know, he was a Star Wars fan

There was a burial at the churchyard next to the Kings Head, where Harry & Ian were regulars at quiz nights; very pleasant sat outside in the sunshine by the bowling green, talking with one of Harry's former work colleagues

Many current and former Bolton chess players there, including Jeff Horner, John Hall and Roger Howley, plus David Norwood's parents; Oliver Jackson was there, as were a number of players from clubs around Bolton and Manchester

I think Harry would have approved of the day; I imagine there's a few still at the pub
Last edited by Mick Norris on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:06 pm

I remembered another anecdote about Harry, some time before the 'real' games I mentioned in my previous post. When I moved to the North West in 1975, my first club was Knutsford. The club secretary knew Harry from when he had provided advice and assistance for the Knutsford Rapidplay congress. He persuaded Harry to come and give a simul for the club members. With a grade of around 200 at the time, Harry was certainly strong enough to do this; however the club secretary was a bit over-enthusiastic in publicising the event, and informed the local paper that 'Grandmaster Harry Lamb' would be giving a simultaneous display. And thus it was that I achieved my one and only draw against a Grandmaster!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:07 am

Very sorry to hear of Harry's death - never played him but when I was a regular at Congresses down that way, I would often talk to him. Had no idea he had been ill. Best wishes to Ian and the rest of the family.

Also had no idea Harry was a fellow Star Wars fan - I wonder what he thought of what Disney has done to it these days.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker