Martin Cath

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Lea

Martin Cath

Post by Simon Lea » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:53 pm

H Martin Cath 1938 - 2023

I am sorry to inform you that Martin has died, peacefully at home on 23 July 2023 at the age of 85.

President, loyal, and very long standing member of South Norwood Chess Club.

He will be greatly missed.

Angus French

Re: Martin Cath

Post by Angus French » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:29 pm

I'm very sorry to hear this news.

Martin was the mainstay at South Norwood Chess Club, one of the organisers of the Surrey Chess Congress which, in its time, at Sutton Library at Easter, was one of the biggest tournaments in the country, and long time Tournament Director of Surrey County Chess Association. He was a kindly chap and a diligent and competent organiser.

Leon Watson

Post by Leon Watson » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:26 am

Very sad news.

Martin was just the nicest man. Always welcoming, always jovial. He will be a big loss to the South Norwood.

Condolences to everyone at the club.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:49 am

That's very sad news. Angus and Leon have already described him perfectly. Martin was unfailingly cheerful, helpful and reliable. In my view people like Martin rank above grandmasters in the hierarchy of chess; without them organised chess couldn't exist. Condolences to his friends and relatives.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:12 am

Martin's contribution to Surrey Chess extended over 50 years as an office holder (36 years inter-club tournament controller, 16 years as grader amongst others). I always looked forward to seeing him for his friendliness and knowledge of Surrey chess history. A few weeks ago I found amongst old Surrey Chess Congress documents 2 SCCA trust deeds dated 1948 countersigned by 2 characters with the surname "Felce" (I'm currently competing for the Felce Trophy, a section of the Surrey Individual) and I was looking forward to asking Martin about the identities of these two) but sadly that question will never now be put.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:38 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:12 am
A few weeks ago I found amongst old Surrey Chess Congress documents 2 SCCA trust deeds dated 1948 countersigned by 2 characters with the surname "Felce" (I'm currently competing for the Felce Trophy, a section of the Surrey Individual) and I was looking forward to asking Martin about the identities of these two) but sadly that question will never now be put.
Harold George Felce (1895-1974) was a strong player with scalps of Sultan Khan and Dr JM Aitken to his credit. He was the son of George Albert Felce (1868-1956) who was also a noted player and organiser.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Martin Smith

Post by Martin Smith » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:28 am

As said above, Martin was one of the true gentleman of chess, and Streatham and Brixton Chess Club mourns his passing. He was unfailing in his welcome whenever we arrived to play at South Norwood. A personal reminiscence concerns my first match game, after a long break, against Martin. My rustiness with the clock was plain to see, and he sportingly contrived not to notice when my flag fell one move short.
This was but a minor example of his generosity, manifested on a larger scale when we were reconstructing our club's 150 year history. The story of the Felce dynasty and their long association with Brixton CC and beyond, spanning the two World Wars, (as told in Movers and Takers) is due entirely to Martin's enthusiastic assistance as he mined his extensive archive.
We will remember him fondly.
Martin Smith. President, Streatham and Brixton CC.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:04 pm

I think H G Felce was National Grader, at one point in tandem with Bedford's W A (Sandy) Cordon (later a BCF President), in the days when grades were calculated on the back of the proverbial envelope.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:05 pm

I took over from Martin as Tournament Controller for Surrey. It was only after I had done so that I realised what a substantial amount of work he had undertaken. Martin made a major contribution to Surrey Chess over many decades. I attach a photo taken at the funeral of Bill Waterton, another Surrey stalwart with whom he ran the Surrey Chess Congress from 1975 for many years.

From left Scott Freeman, Peter Lawrence, Martin Cath and Paul Durrant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:16 pm

"I took over from Martin as Tournament Controller for Surrey."

The SCCA website seems to disagree.

https://www.scca.co.uk/hist/hist_index.html

Richard Tillett

Post by Richard Tillett » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:09 pm

So sad that we have lost Martin Cath.
The Croydon & District Chess League is indebted to him. He was instrumental, with David Hodgson, in securing the League's survival when it fell upon hard times in the early 1990s; and he remained a pillar of support for many years as a committee member and fount of wise and practical advice.
Thank you Martin, how we shall miss you.
Richard Tillett, Chair, Croydon & District Chess League

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:11 pm

Very sorry to hear about Martin’s passing-he was a true gentleman and did a great deal for the Surrey chess scene. He was also a very keen player and I saw him on numerous occasions hold or win tricky endgames-which I believe was his forte. He will be greatly missed by SCCA Members and in particular at South Norwood Chess Club.
RIP Martin Cath -Owen.

Simon Lea

Post by Simon Lea » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:53 pm

Martin’s funeral will be held next Wednesday, 16th August.

Many of you will have received details by email from Ken Chamberlain, if you have not and would like to attend please contact him or me.

Martin's sister and daughters have been following this topic and thank everyone for their kind words.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:37 am

I was very sad to hear the news of Martin's death.
One of the highlights of playing South Norwood was that Martin would enjoy his game whether he won or lost, and he was always welcoming to the away team whether or not he was playing in the match. He was a true gentleman and it was fitting that one of his last games was in the H Martin Cath Trophy. He was dedicated to serving the chess community throughout his life and we are dependent on people like him for the chess world to thrive.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:06 am

Neill Cooper wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:37 am
I was very sad to hear the news of Martin's death.
One of the highlights of playing South Norwood was that Martin would enjoy his game whether he won or lost, and he was always welcoming to the away team whether or not he was playing in the match. He was a true gentleman and it was fitting that one of his last games was in the H Martin Cath Trophy. He was dedicated to serving the chess community throughout his life and we are dependent on people like him for the chess world to thrive.
Yes, it was very sad and ironic. If he had beaten the chap he played South Norwood would have won the Martin Cath Trophy

Final table https://ecflms.org.uk/lms/node/128203/table

Match details https://ecflms.org.uk/lms/node/134382
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.