George Hollands 1984-2023

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

George Hollands 1984-2023

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:27 pm

I am sorry to inform you that George Hollands has passed away.
George played for Swale and Snodland chess clubs in Kent.
He was a very good chess player especially with the French Defence.
His passing was reported recently on the Swale Chess Club website:
https://www.swalechessclub.co.uk
RIP

Lee Bullock

Re: George Hollands 1984-2023

Post by Lee Bullock » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:24 am

Omg. This is mad. He was only young? We was good friends till we had a little fall out on fb and I blocked him. Any idea what happened?
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:31 pm

Lee Bullock wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:24 am
Omg. This is mad. He was only young? We was good friends till we had a little fall out on fb and I blocked him. Any idea what happened?
According to the English Federation for Correspondence Chess his death was "sudden".

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:30 pm

Oh dear. I hope not the obvious. So sad if it was🙁🥺.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:45 am

Wow I played George about a year ago at CC, as part a BCCA cup tournament (one of the last games I played before deciding my return to the game wasn't a keeper, due to the tedium of every single player using an engine - CC is over basically) I remember he was a really nice chatty guy on the ICCF server and I looked up his Twitter page, I remember seeing that cartoon pic of him. He gave me a sound thrashing in both games (seem to remember it was both a black and white side of a French - from what I read about him now that was a mistake :roll:). I didn't imagine he was only one year older than me, I had placed him at least in his 50's.

RIP.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:14 pm

I have added a brief tribute to George at www.snodlandchessclub.com

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:01 am

Not to be crass, but do we have any more details than "Suddenly"? It's no age at all to go.

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:29 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:01 am
Not to be crass, but do we have any more details than "Suddenly"? It's no age at all to go.
It was reported on Facebook started feeling ill on the Monday, passed away on the Wednesday. Autopsy shed no light. Further samples taken for toxicology testing.

Not mentioned above is George had one of the most comprehensive chess libraries in the UK. When Steve Giddins wrote a book on the highlights of New in Chess magazines, he sourced them from George, who had a complete set.

Anthony Ibbitson

Post by Anthony Ibbitson » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:30 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:45 am
Wow I played George about a year ago at CC, as part a BCCA cup tournament (one of the last games I played before deciding my return to the game wasn't a keeper, due to the tedium of every single player using an engine - CC is over basically) I remember he was a really nice chatty guy on the ICCF server and I looked up his Twitter page, I remember seeing that cartoon pic of him. He gave me a sound thrashing in both games (seem to remember it was both a black and white side of a French - from what I read about him now that was a mistake :roll:). I didn't imagine he was only one year older than me, I had placed him at least in his 50's.

RIP.
I have returned to correspondence chess, the ICCF, no idea how long I will last this time. I always seem to abandon my games when I get outplayed by a 1300 who's clearly using an engine.
“Chess is a war over the board. The object is to crush the opponent’s mind." - Bobby Fischer.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:34 pm

Anthony Ibbitson wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:30 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:45 am

RIP.
I have returned to correspondence chess, the ICCF, no idea how long I will last this time. I always seem to abandon my games when I get outplayed by a 1300 who's clearly using an engine.
Long time no speak Tony :)

Yes, during Covid I was quite hyped as I won one of the lower rated BCCA medal tourneys (which came with a physical medal... eventually when I reminded them to send it!) But when you get kicked up to the higher levels, it'd honestly be more fun (and less time consuming) to plug two laptops together and watch them play it out, when I get to that point, the log-ins to ICCF become more of a chore. I ended up resigning all my games and won't be going back to it.

Player base is also an issue - I'm afraid nature has taken it's course with many of the older players and new ones have not joined up to replace them, so I found myself playing the same 10 people constantly. The BCCA is really struggling now, I hear from a CC friend I still keep in touch with, they cancelled the postal method of playing last season.