Dave Pardoe RIP

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Mick Norris

Dave Pardoe RIP

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:22 pm

I am sorry to have to report the death of Dave Pardoe, who would be known to many on the Forum

Dave captained the Greater Manchester county u150 team and was also a regular in the 4NCL for the Manticores

Dave played in the North East for many years and was a member at South Shields where he posted:
I was a member from about 1966-70, and remember some of the people mentioned, including Jack Bishop, Mr Dodds, Lance Oliver and Mr Johnson. I recall one night around 1968, when the club hosted a Simultaneous Chess Event featuring one of Englands leading players, P H Clarke. I think about 40 players took part at the Marine & Tech, and there were two who beat him, myself and Eric Whiting if I remember correctly. We received book prizes, but it was a memorable night. It was a great challenge by Peter Clarke to take on 40 players simultaneously, and these days our top players limit themselves to about 30 opponents. He played at Newcastle and Sunderland clubs also on that tour and was probably a top 10 British player in the mid 60’s, and wrote some classic books on chess. He went on to become British Master and Chess Correspondent for The Times. In those days South Shields had about 20 active members I believe, including Bill Jenkings, and a great chap called Mr Joss, whose advice to me as a young player was invaluable.
The funeral has been arranged at Stockport Crematorium on Monday 18th December at 12:00 noon. If anyone is able to attend the service, I am told they will be very welcome.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Cooksey

Re: Dave Pardoe RIP

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:21 pm

sad news...RIP Dave

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:02 pm

Still not sure what his forum sig "BRING BACK THE BCF" actually meant, but RIP anyway. Always sad when a forum member passes away.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:16 pm

A sad loss. I always looked forward to his posts, even when I expected to disagree with them! His enthusiasm was obvious, and that's what counts.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:41 am

That is sad. I seem to have avoided ever playing him in the endless seeming Chorlton - Stockport matches, but he was often about. Very friendly soul.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:30 am

Shame to hear about Dave, one of the best members of the forum, numbers are becoming more and more sparse around here now...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:46 pm

Sad news. I don't agree with Joey that it is becoming sparse around here, but reading some of David Pardoe's old posts (in the interests of harmony and not stirring up old issues, I will not link to them) does give somewhat of an insight into when the forum was more active. I have always presumed that 'BRING BACK THE BCF' meant what it said on the tin, that David disagreed with the actions that led to the formation of the ECF and other bodies. But maybe others know more about this?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:40 pm

Entirely correct Christopher

FWIW, Dave was also opposed to Greater Manchester leaving the MCCU for the NCCU
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:15 pm

Sad news. I've read a number of his posts.
A forum member that will be missed.
RIP

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:03 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:16 pm
A sad loss. I always looked forward to his posts, even when I expected to disagree with them! His enthusiasm was obvious, and that's what counts.
this was mention in his funeral this quote
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:10 pm

"this was mention in his funeral this quote"

That's nice. I hope the funeral went well (by which I mean as well as such things can go...)