Dave Robertson

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Peter Ackley

Dave Robertson

Post by Peter Ackley » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:44 pm

I have received the sad news from John Carleton that Dave Robertson passed away today. He had been in hospital for some time but his passing still came as a shock.

I'll let a full summary of his achievements come from someone who knew him better; I only knew Dave for 12 years through the 4NCL and through our emails and I would not be able to do his achievements justice.

I will miss the discussions held with Dave, usually over excellent food and excellent wine, where he was more than able to hold his own over a vast range of topics whilst simultaneously tolerating people like myself who knew far less than him. I will also miss his chess and the selfless role he played within our team, always reminding us that success is achieved through being part of a team, rather than being an individual.

My thoughts are with his friends and family at this difficult time.

Nick Ivell

Re: Dave Robertson

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pm

This is the post I hoped I would never have to make. Perhaps fittingly, it will also be my last (just waiting for my request to leave the forum to be processed).

There are not many people in chess I admire. Mike Truran is one; David was another.

David was an amazing man. I think of David, John Carleton and Steve Connor as the Liverpool trinity - they did so much for chess in the area.

David was no mean player. He gave me a real beating when I was 17.

David was a man who did not suffer fools gladly. No doubt this wound up a few people; may even have made him the occasional enemy. That happens, when you have trenchant views.

I pay tribute here to a man of incredible intellect. The best company in chess, now sadly lost to us.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:14 pm

I am very sorry to hear this news. I spoke to David a few times in person, but really only knew him through this forum, its predecessor and social media. I feel diminished by his passing.

If the family support anything in memoriam, I hope will be posted here.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:15 pm

That's terrible news; I always enjoyed talking with David; I'd echo the previous comments
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:36 pm

Had noticed he hadn't posted here for a while, can only concur with the comments above. RIP.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:24 am

Terrible news, yes.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:54 am

From 4NCL of November 3rd, 2012:

_jeu5982_lv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:19 am

And another from the same 4NCL weekend:

_jeu5992_lv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:12 pm

Looking back, pretty sure he played me in the National Lightning team competition in Liverpool back in 1987.

I scored 5/7 overall there and he handed me one of my two defeats. Atticus had a fearsomely strong first team back then.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:45 pm

Chester Chess Club

Atticus website photos from 1977, 1973 and 1966

Atticus history
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:40 pm

Very saddened to hear this. Condolences to the family.

Not being a Northerner myself, I only recently came across David since 2011/12 when Spirit of Atticus started to appear in the top divisions of 4NCL, but I enjoyed our chats and would have liked to have known him much better. So I too should like to see some obituaries by those who did know him. Presumably, the high profile events at Liverpool in 2006-2008 would be among the highlights of his chess CV.

In the meantime, and since he was a memorable figure on this forum too, perhaps Carl could locate some of David's deleted posts! I am sure that David would have been happy for his messages to forum moderators to live on after him.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:54 pm

I am very sad to hear this. He was a great character and human being.

RIP.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:42 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:40 pm
In the meantime, and since he was a memorable figure on this forum too, perhaps Carl could locate some of David's deleted posts! I am sure that David would have been happy for his messages to forum moderators to live on after him.
The late David Robertson's posts are still here so far as I can discern.

I have just been taking a trip down memory lane by looking up the threads at www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=262&start=180 and www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=320. where he demolishes the claims of Charles W Wood.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:05 pm

Last logged into the forum (and posted) on February 13th, so not that long ago at all.

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Really sorry to hear this. I didn't know him at all, but he was obviously someone who gave a lot to chess.