Craig Fairclough

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Kirk Gornall

Craig Fairclough

Post by Kirk Gornall » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm

I was checking the ECF grading database a few days ago and was shocked/saddened to learn that Craig Fairclough had passed away some time in 2006 or afterwards. I believe he lived in the Chorley area of Lancashire, and I had played against him several times in chess tournaments in the North West of England. We had some good games against each other.

Does anyone have any more information? I cannot find any obituary on other websites.

Clive Blackburn

Re: Craig Fairclough

Post by Clive Blackburn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Kirk Gornall wrote:Does anyone have any more information? I cannot find any obituary on other websites.
I found this link (not chess related) and the name and date do appear to match:-

http://lancs-local-resources.talis.com/ ... B34448437E

That link gives a reference to the issue of the newspaper where the obituary appears - I think that you could probably read it if you registered on the site.

It says that he was only aged 41 - would that be about right Kirk?

Kirk Gornall

Post by Kirk Gornall » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 pm

From what I can recall when I played against him, I thought he would have been older than 41 in 2006, maybe around 50, although I could be mistaken. Thanks for the link Clive, I will take a look.
Last edited by Kirk Gornall on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Yes, unfortunately the ECF Grading Database only gives D.o.B. for Juniors.

I suppose the only way to find out for sure would be to check with a member of his club.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Googling a little bit more, I found that there is a Craig Fairclough Memorial Trophy at the Leyland Chess Congress, awarded to the highest-scoring Junior.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... m-2010.doc