Alan Riddle

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Andrew Zigmond

Alan Riddle

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:11 am

Two weeks ago Limewood & Scarcroft chess club reported the death of Alan Riddle. Alan was one of the founder members of the club which now runs five teams in the Leeds League. He was also known as the organiser of the most recent incarnation of the Leeds Congress. Despite advancing years he was an extremely active player up until the start of the pandemic and a familiar face to league players in the Leeds and York area.

At Limewood and Scarcroft's Leeds League match last week a minute's silence was held in Alan's memory.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: Alan Riddle

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:36 am

Alan at Fareham in 2015.
Alan Riddle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jon Mahony

Re: Alan Riddle

Post by Jon Mahony » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:05 am

It comes with a great shock and the deepest of sadness to hear about Alan's death.

As Andrew mentioned, Alan was also a founding member of the now sadly defunct Leeds Chess Congress.

Alan was a details man; I very much doubt we would have got the event off the ground, had it not been for his calm advise, guiding hand (as well as his extensive knowledge of the financial and banking world). It was Alan's decision to end his involvement with the Congress (he said once the event was over he was exhausted for a good 2 weeks after) that tipped the scales on us all deciding to call it quits.

As a person he was also wonderful - very sweet and kind hearted, but did not suffer fools - he used to put me in mind of William Hartnell's incarnation of Dr Who.

I regret, due to growing tired with the game and taking an extended period off, I did not keep in touch with Alan as I should have, after the closure of the original Leeds Chess Club (which is when he left to join Limewood). I have just started dipping my toe back in the water of league chess and was hoping to bump into him at a match, sadly that now isn't to be.

RIP Alan.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker