Ian Ponter

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Matthew Turner

Ian Ponter

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:37 pm

From the ECF website
"Ian sadly passed away on Sunday 1st December 2013 aged 41. Ian was educated in Gloucester and lived in Cheltenham. He played chess for Downend, Bristol and represented his county of Gloucestershire. He won the Major section at Frome in 2012 but had been in poor health for some years. Ian joined several of his friends at golf during many Paignton Chess Congresses. Ian will be sadly missed by his many friends."

I just cannot believe it.

Ray Sayers

Re: Ian Ponter

Post by Ray Sayers » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I just cannot believe it.
Sums it up for me. I was a member of the Gloucester club and played him a few times in 1997/8. I always remember him as such a pleasant young man.

Mike W. Richardt

Post by Mike W. Richardt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:47 pm

I know that he was ill for a while but didn't know that his tumour had come back as I haven't seen him in a while.

A very nice man and fab team mate for Bristol in the 4NCL!!!!

He'll be missed greatly!!!
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri - I am not bound to believe in the word of any master
http://www.mikerichardt.co.uk

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Terrible news - I played him a couple of times, the second time I swindled him horribly and he took it really well. Definitely a nice guy.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 am

I've been asked to post details of Ian's funeral arrangements

The funeral is at 2pm on Thursday 12 December at Gloucester Crematorium, Coney Hill Rd, Gloucester GL4 4PA.

Donations are to be made directly to the Sue Ryder Hospice @ Leckhampton Court.

Family Flowers only

Thanks

Dave Tipper

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:05 am

I have known Ian from the time he started playing tournament chess in the mid 1990's. As a key member of the Downend Chess Club social group that was at every tournament, he helped to ensure their combined friendliness extended equally to non-club members.

My thoughts are with his grieving family - especially as it happened just before the Christmas period.

Neville Belinfante

geoffgammon

Post by geoffgammon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 am

The following tribute to Ian was posted on the Downend and Fishponds website having been put together by Jerry Humphreys. http://www.michaeljmeadows.com/chess/in ... 1amp;&r=15
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is obviously as confused as I am!