Robin Horner

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Paul Bielby

Robin Horner

Post by Paul Bielby » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:06 pm

I have just heard the news that Robin Horner, Secretary of the Durham County Chess Association, passed away on New Year's day. He had been for many years a leading player for the Gateshead Chess Club. I gather he had had a heart attack, shortly before Christmas, but had been discharged from hospital.
Our sympathy goes to his family and friends and also to the members of the Gateshead Club for their second sad loss within the past year.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Robin Horner

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Sad news - remembered him well from my time in the NE.

(re your last comment - who is the other?)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Sad news indeed. Our sympathies to his family, friends and everyone who knew him. He always possessed a character of quiet dignity and authority, and was the calm voice of reason in many discussions. He will be missed.

Paul Bielby

Post by Paul Bielby » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 am

For Matt - sorry I have only just noticed your question. The other loss suffered by Gateshead Chess Club ealier this year occured during the Durham County congress just after Easter. In R4, on the Sunday morning, Colin Gilroy, Gateshead B team captain, collapsed and was talken to hospital where he passed away that afternoon.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Thank you for that, Paul - think he was "after my time". For any club to lose two stalwarts in such a short period is indeed a grievous blow.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)