James O'Grady RIP

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Trefor Thynne

James O'Grady RIP

Post by Trefor Thynne » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Chess players in Devon were saddened recently by the death of James (Jim) O'Grady at the age of 74. Jim was latterly a member of Newton Abbot Chess Club and, before that, of Teignmouth club. he was an active player of correspondence chess for many years and also took part in congresses, most recently at the e2-e4 event held in Brighton in February 2013. It was clear at this congress that his health was declining and in latter months he had been more or less house-bound with heart and lung problems.
Jim was a Liverpudlian whose teaching career (Religious Studies and English) culminated in a headship in Birmingham before he took early retirement on health grounds at the age of 50 and later moved to Devon. Although of modest playing standard (ECF 120) he was a real lover of the game and showed considerable generosity towards junior members of the Newton Abbot Club.

Trefor Thynne
Secretary, Newton abbot Chess Club
Secretary, Devon County Chess Association

Lee Bullock

Re: James O'Grady RIP

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:43 am

Sad to hear of Jim's Death.

I spoke to him on many occasions and had a real battle and interesting game with him back at Paignton 2012.

Always telling me about hes master play online and hes early days as Teacher etc.

Last spoke to him at Hastings outside late at night and he commented on how nice my enthusiasm was and to keep up my teaching kids.

Had no idea he was ill. :(

Really sad, Rip Jim.

Lee
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.