Charles L. Tadiello

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
John Upham

Charles L. Tadiello

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 pm

The following was sent by John Roper from Reading Chess Club:

Charles L Tadiello – born 17th October 1919, died 28th June 2014

Charles learned to play chess during a daily 10 mile school bus journey to Grammar School and was effectively self-taught. He was Andover Grammar School Chess Champion for 2 years.

Charles started at Lloyds Bank in Faringdon, Oxfordshire, in 1937 aged 17 years (he remained with Lloyds Bank until he retired in 1980). He was called up to the army in 1940 and remained in the forces until August 1946. He then returned to the bank in Faringdon. Charles moved to Reading in September 1948 and started club chess in 1949 at the age of 29. He says that prior to that time he had studied chess but had no match experience. In 1952 he became top board for Berkshire and remained so until 1962.

Charles joined Reading Chess Club in 1949 and left in March 2010 (at age 90) when he moved to Berkhamsted. Charles won various championships (in no particular order):
• Andover Grammar School x 2
• Berkshire Champion x 2
• London Banks champion x 1
• Reading Chess Club Champion x 15 (first won the Reading Championship in 1957-58 and the last of his 15 wins was in the 2007-08 season (at the age of 88!)
• Reading Chess Club Lightning Chess Champion x 10
• Bracknell Chess Club Champion x 2
• Berkhamsted Chess Club Champion x 1 (at the age of 93)
Charles married Barbara in November 1945. Barbara died in November 2011. Charles had two sons, Alan and Derek, two grandchildren (Carla and Marcus) and two great grandchildren (Anabel and Jessica). Charles lived independently in Berkhamsted until he died peacefully at home from heart failure on 28 June 2014, aged 94.
Charles was a long time subscriber and supporter of BCM.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Townsend

Re: Charles L. Tadiello

Post by John Townsend » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Sad news. "Tad" was universally liked and respected in Berkshire chess. He joked that when people asked why he had no enemies, he replied that he had outlived all the b------s! The truth is that he had very few enemies. R.I.P., Tad.

Graham Borrowdale

Re: Charles L. Tadiello

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:07 am

I never played Tad in my early years playing in Berkshire, but I remember he was regarded as a bit of a legend locally.
Thanks for posting his story, John. It's inconceivable nowadays that anybody could work for the same employer and play for the same chess club for virtually the whole of their life.