Abraham Neviazsky

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Richard James

Abraham Neviazsky

Post by Richard James » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Everyone involved in chess in the London area will be sad to hear that Abraham Neviazsky, Richmond & Twickenham Chess Club President and London League Captain, died suddenly of a heart attack while playing chess at home yesterday afternoon. It was only five months ago that his friends at Richmond, the club he'd represented for nearly 40 years, organised a party to celebrate his 80th birthday.

Abraham was a larger than life character, renowned for his devotion to Fulham Football Club and pushing his b-pawn two squares in the opening, and will be much missed by all his many friends in the chess world.

Abraham's funeral is at 3pm tomorrow (Thursday 11 September) at Golders Green Cemetery, 1 Hoop Lane London NW11 7NL. In the words of his daughter Naomi, "Dad liked everything big, so all are welcome".

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Abraham Neviazsky

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:59 pm

As Richard said, Abraham will be much missed. I'd like to quote what a fellow club player and team-mate said to me via e-mail today: "I will remember him as he was, always jovial!". That will be my abiding memory of him too. RIP Abraham.

Bill Drennan

Re: Abraham Neviazsky

Post by Bill Drennan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:17 am

Although I have only just seen this, I would like to add my condolences. Abraham and I shared first prize in a weekend congress in Hitchin in 1991, and had an excellent hard fought game during the tournament, featuring his trademark 1 b4. We played subsequently a couple of times in the London League and we would always reminisce about that triumphant weekend. He seemed a really nice guy. I also notice his last grading was his highest in 20 years at least - how good that he was playing some of his best chess right up to his last days.