Tom Farley & Mike Walker

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Neil Graham

Tom Farley & Mike Walker

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Two stalwarts of the Birmingham chess scene Tom Farley and Mike Walker have passed away recently. Obituaries are given on the Birmingham chess website.

http://birminghamchess.org.uk/

David Robertson

Re: Tom Farley & Mike Walker

Post by David Robertson » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:32 pm

RIP both - although I recall neither from my youth in the city.

But I do recall the following player, not least because I was a member of the City & Erdington Club in the 1960s. I also recall the author of this affectionate obit, Keith Ingram, still active for Warwicks Select in the 4NCL

Colin Hammersley passed away on the 1st January 2015 aged 81. I first met him in 1959 when I came to Birmingham to live. He was playing top board for the City club at that time and did so until 1966 when the club had by then merged with Erdington folded. I do not know much about Colin's chess career before 1959 but League Records show that he won the Division 3 individual in 1953/54, was runner up in Division 1 1956/57 and League Division 1 Individual Champion in 1963/64. He played for Kynoch 1967/68 season and helped that club to win the Championship against a strong challenge from Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield. Up until this time when someone mentioned the word 'Batchelor' to me I conjured up an image of Colin. At the time apart from chess he played competitive bridge and snooker and also participated with a certain group of chess players with a penchant for poker. His first marriage came as a total shock! He enjoyed a happy married life with his first wife until her untimely death in the late 1990s. Some League members will remember Colin playing for Kynoch in the mid 1990s. He then married Margaret who had just lost her 2nd husband and moved to MarketHarborough. Colin was a man of forthright views a loyal friend and good company. His funeral is at 12.30 p.m. at St. Dioysius Church, Market Harborough on the 28th January.

Keith Ingram

RIP Colin Hammersley

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Tom Farley & Mike Walker

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:56 pm

There is also a bit more further down that web page and some other obituaries that I've linked below from the past three years or so (most are Word documents):

Mike Walker
Tom Farley

Some more:

Alf Schroeder (forum thread)
Norman Young (forum thread)
David Rowe (additional tribute) (forum thread)

Also Robin Farmery, Robert Jones.

The extra bit on Colin Hammersley:

"Colin was a member of Mutual Circle for several years between 1969 and 1977. More recently he donated to us his collection of Mutual Circle Newsletters from the 1940s and 1950s. (These can be viewed at http://www.mutualchess.co.uk/ ). In consideration of this generous gift Colin was made a life-time 'honorary member' of our club in 2011. He maintained a keen interest in Mutual Circle and its players, continuing to follow our affairs through our weekly news bulletins until shortly before his death."

The collection of old newsletters is fascinating (seen at the link above) and includes a membership card and match results from the 1920s!

http://www.mutualchess.co.uk/membership ... 23_24.html

Things don't change much, do they?