IM Colin Crouch

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: IM Colin Crouch

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Do we know anything more about the circumstances of Colin's passing?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Re the obituary published on the ECF website, I have this correction: Colin won the 1972 British U16 Championship with a score of 10½/11, not 11/11. (My source for this, BCM, Sept 1972, p321.) Some additional details to supplement those given in the published obituary: (a) Colin's date of birth was 14 Oct 1956 (source, an old grading list from the era when full d.o.b.s were given); (b) Colin was at Christ's College, Cambridge; (c) he played in three Cambridge vs Oxford varsity matches (1977-79), scoring 2½/3.

I can't claim I knew Colin particularly well but always found him to be an affable chap with his heart in the right place and a very sporting opponent. He was an excellent player and writer and will be sadly missed.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Very sad news. For many years Colin played in North East tournaments. A perfect gent.
I first came across him around 1977 when I played in the Open section of the Middlesbrough congress. I was graded 155 at the time and Colin was 210. I played him in the first round and was expected to get beat however I was doing well when Colin offered me a draw which given the grading differential I readily accepted. He then went on to explain the winning line I had and admitted he offered the draw knowing he was losing and also knowing I would accept. Thereafter we always spoke at congress's. A loss to our game and far too early to loose a thoroughly decent chap.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:A tribute to Colin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnjsXkcjU8
Thanks Andrew; well chosen game (I remember watching parts of it) and the opening remarks are spot on too, I think.

Nevil Chan

Post by Nevil Chan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 am

The service for Colin will be held 12:15pm on Tuesday 5th May at

West Chapel
Breakspear Crematorium
Breakspear Road
Ruislip
Middlesex
HA4 7SJ

There will be a gathering afterwards from 2:00pm at

The White Horse
Middle Road
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
HA2 0HL

To assist with buffet numbers, it would be helpful if those planning to attend email [email protected]

Please note, family flowers only. Donations in Colin’s memory can be made to the Stroke Association here: http://www.stroke.org.uk/donation
"Some people are good enough at chess to take it seriously; you are not one of them."

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Over the weekend I decided I really ought to ad to my collection of books by Colin - in the end deciding to buy 'How to Defend in Chess'. Here's just the final paragraph of Watson's review (linked to above by Angus). Watson doesn't normally mince his words if he's not impressed so this alone should persuade a few more people ot pick-up a copy.

"There's always more to say about such an original book. I don't necessarily agree with all of Crouch's philosophic points, but to me, the essence of this work is the meticulous care he gives to presenting every aspect of games that he obviously loves. His choice of examples is brilliant, his analysis thorough, and his comments at least stimulating and often more. I very much recommend this effort and I think it ranks among the very best books of the last few years."

Lines-up with some of what Andrew Martin says in his YouTube presentation about the diligence with which colin approached writing his books.

Paul Dargan

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 pm

For years, I've had a 'problem' with Colin Crouch. He enjoyed the same name as a stellar academic whose books I very much admired. Learning 'our' Colin was an academic too merely amplified the 'problem'. Could they possibly be the same person? By the time our paths crossed, in a 4NCL match a couple of years back, I'd resolved that they had to be different people, not least because the 'other' Colin Crouch had been based in Florence. I was planning to check all the same. But the chance never arose.

Like others, I enjoyed Andrew's well-judged tribute. And like Paul, I've just bought the same book.

RIP

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:18 pm

This was very sad and unwelcome news.

I've been knock sideways recently with the passing away of another chess friend and a close relation.

Recall Colin and me having a ding-dong in this forum (I called him a GM - I honestly thought he was). He called me a moron.

My usual frustrated rant over no diagrams and I genuinely would have been interested in what Colin had to say.

It was pointed out to me he also had a minor dig at me in his blog/column.

I've no problem with that. He sounds like he did not suffer fools and I'm first to admit I do do some foolish things.

I think I dragged it a tad too far asking if any of his books had diagrams. But PM's were exchanged and I did apologise.

So one brief return to the new layout site....It's still awful!

I've read the other tributes. (I see there are still those...well one... who like to tell others how they should live their lives. So no change here.)

Going with the other tributes Colin will be greatly missed by all who knew him and a very sad loss to Chess.

I don't think I have one of Colin's books. But if John Watson gives one a glowing review then it's a winner.

To be honest I cannot see me buying a book on how to defend but his book on Carlsen which I was swithering
on buying at the Edinburgh Congress looked very interesting and nearly had me breaking my 'never buy a chess
book for more than a tenner rule.' (in the end I went for three of the £5.00 books in the junk box.)

Colin has left his mark on the game with his writing and his games.
There are also very fond memories for his friends and family to cherish.
The Bill Phillips tribute posted by Neville was enlightening and especially at this moment with my own grief, I feel for his loss.

Rest In Peace Colin and thank you for everything you did in Chess.

Geoff.

Nevil Chan

Post by Nevil Chan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:32 am

"Some people are good enough at chess to take it seriously; you are not one of them."

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:50 am

That's a nice tribute piece, Nevil. I can recall Colin trying to keep us younger Harrow juniors in order in the early 1970s. Not sure I was attentive enough at the time, but I recall his attempts to pass on his chess knowledge with much affection.

Nevil Chan

Post by Nevil Chan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:
That's a nice tribute piece, Nevil. I can recall Colin trying to keep us younger Harrow juniors in order in the early 1970s. Not sure I was attentive enough at the time, but I recall his attempts to pass on his chess knowledge with much affection.
Thanks Steve, we've also posted Andrew Martin's tribute video on Harrow Chess Club homepage. http://www.harrowchessclub.org.uk

Salvatorian College might have won the Sunday Times Schools Chess Championship if Colin had attended - we were after all his local school. :)

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue May 05, 2015 9:34 am

A one-minute silence was held at 4NCL on Sunday before start of play at both Hinckley and Daventry venues.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)