Joe French

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Andrew Martin

Joe French

Post by Andrew Martin » Thu May 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Joe French RIP. I heard the sad news this afternoon.

He dedicated virtually his entire life to Hampshire Junior Chess for at least the last 35 years. The type of person that keeps English chess going behind the scenes.

A great loss.

Malcolm Clarke

Re: Joe French

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Joe was indeed a stalwart of Hampshire Chess for a number of years and his death comes three days before the Hampshire Megafinal which he organised for as long as I can remember. I believe a book of condolences is being passed around at Sunday's Megafinal.

Joe contributed to Hampshire Junior Chess in so many different ways and was also active in Basingstoke chess club. In the last year he played regularly for Basingstoke in their first season in the Southampton Chess League.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Thu May 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Joe learnt his chess, which was always basic, as an evacuee in Lancashire, and latterly in Kent, where he was to feel so at home. A cockney, he grew up wishing he'd fought in the war, played-down some shell-shock, was a boy soldier in the 1950s and a film extra. . He was in 'Passport to Pimlico' as a child and 'Carry On Sergeant' as the hands of comedian Kenneth Williams, assembling a machine gun. But good humour and a sense of proportion never left him. He took dancing lessons, partnered Joyce Blair, Lionel's sister. But I digress and with good reason. I am still so upset. He played chess for Sainsbury's in London, I believe, where he met John Yeo. He moved to Basingstoke about 40 years ago, drawn by the government package that also brought Dick Boxall and Ken Harman. A triumvirate indeed!!

He found work at the AA, a good head for figures never leaving him thereafter. The Basingstoke and, of course Hampshire, junior world was re-established and eventually flourished: Oliver Worsfold winning the U15s at Blackpool 1988 and Kieran Smallbone and, of course, Peter Roberson, becoming teenage masters. He touched families and parents from the Lushers, Hollands, Hunts, Geidelbergs, Jacobs, Herons, Cobbs. He taught the game in several schools, at last earning the respect, and involvement, that he so craved.

He won the Presidents Prize for Chess in 2004. He was a friend to so many, my mate for almost 40 years.
To his brothers George and Dave and his large family of nieces and nephews, all of whom he doted on, I send condolences.

Joseph Henry French (Elephant & Castle 11.i.1936-Basingstoke 14 v 2015).

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat May 16, 2015 3:30 pm

This is sad news. Used to attend the week-end tournaments organized by Joe French, at the Basingstoke Club, one of the few clubs in the United Kingdom, that owned their own premises. Certainly enjoyed making the trip from London to Basingstoke. Joe was a good organizer.

kieransmallbone

Post by kieransmallbone » Thu May 28, 2015 2:33 pm

I guess I'm too late, but does anyone have details about Joe's funeral?

kieransmallbone

Post by kieransmallbone » Thu May 28, 2015 3:04 pm

... it's at Basingstoke crematorium, 11am, 4 June: http://www.hampshirechess.co.uk/

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 am

A nice tribute: here
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D