George Ellison RIP

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Mick Norris

George Ellison RIP

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:39 pm

I am told that George died today, further info when I have it
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nigel Short

Re: George Ellison RIP

Post by Nigel Short » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Very sad to hear that. Played him a few times over the years - even at his home on one occasion.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:10 pm

That's awful news! I knew from a colleague that he was very poorly. He was a lovely, lovely man; and remained a capable active player until near the end. I do hope someone posts a generous tribute in due course. George deserves to be remembered fondly. RIP

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Very sorry to hear the news about George.

adam_hunt

Post by adam_hunt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Also did so much for junior chess, in particular taking junior trips to the Isle of Man.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:26 pm

I've just received this from George's close colleague, Nick Ivell:

"George died in the early hours. He was playing chess until the end, although struggling to move the pieces from his hospital bed. A great lover of chess and a gentleman."

Michael Yeo

Post by Michael Yeo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Very sad. Played him once 3 years ago. A gentleman.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 pm

adam_hunt wrote:Also did so much for junior chess, in particular taking junior trips to the Isle of Man.
I remember those events and the junior squads well and would have mentioned them myself.

RIP, George. I shall certainly miss you.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Just been mentioned at the Barrow club meeting tonight that he wouldn't be attending South Lakes Congress this year as he was too ill.

Obviously this news had not yet come through :(

Known and liked by virtually everybody in the NW chess community (and wider afield, of course) Another one who will be hard to replace.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:55 pm

George Ellison was the doyen of chess on the Fylde coast.

What were George's attributes as a player? He was not known for his positional sense - I speak frankly here. His strength was tactical imagination in the middlegame, to which I fell victim many times in my salad days. Above all, George was a fighter.

My mind goes back to a snowy evening in February 1975. In a lost position, George offered me a draw. He was using his vast experience to pysch out the young whippersnapper.

In the summer of the same year, in the British championships held at Morecambe, I remember George saying to me as we walked towards the venue: 'Why are two people, at this time of night, walking towards a school with purposeful stride?' Perhaps he was referring to the appalling quality of the venues we were used to in those pre-4NCL days.

George carried on playing into his old age. Increasing frailty, and the death of his beloved daughter, inevitably meant that his play declined. I would get people coming up to me and proudly declaring they had beaten George. They would even show me the game. Inwardly I winced; this was not the George I knew. It was his immense love for the game that kept him going. I have met few people who loved the game more.

He would be proud to know that Nigel Short has joined in the tributes. Nigel remembers George at his best, when he was a force to be reckoned with.

George always said he would retire when his grade was lower than his age. Luckily this never came to pass. His great aim was to reach 200 - in old currency, the mark of a master player. Sadly he never made it, although he came close. On his day he was a match for almost anyone in the country.

I will write a more considered tribute after the funeral, the details of which are not yet known.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:18 pm

According to the Lancs website
The funeral will be at 11am on Thursday 18th June at All Saints Church, 36 Valeway Avenue, Blackpool, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool FY5 3RN.

The service will be in the church, followed by a burial at All Hallows church Bispham which is about a mile away. Then there will be a buffet in All Saints church hall. People are welcome to come to the cemetery but if preferred people to go straight in to the church hall after the service if they wish.

Family flowers only please, but there will be an opportunity to give to the Parkinsons society if people wish.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Very sad. I can still remember him having to be (good naturedly) prised away from torturing my position by his victorious U175 Lancashire team mates about a decade ago.

Steven Gardner

Post by Steven Gardner » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:53 pm

I logged on here yesterday, only to discover this news, and could not find any words that didn't bring me to tears.

I met George when I was 8 years old, some 20 years ago. He was an occasional substitute teacher at my primary school and ran the chess club there. A more approachable and pleasant man you could not wish to meet, as many will attest. Though my dad first taught me the moves, it was George that first taught me how to play, and inspired an interest in my hobby that probably won't ever leave me. He is indirectly responsible for every happy memory of junior chess I have.

I gather that my games with him were past the peak of his powers, but he still seemed plenty strong to me! I played at his adult club, and after roughly 30 attempts over a dozen years I finally got my one and only victory. Don't think I'll ever forget his smile as he shook my hand in resignation. I don't think I ever smiled all those times he crushed me, even though he was always quick to be complimentary afterwards.

I considered him a friend, and on the occasions I was back in the north west to play a tournament looked forward to catching up with him. I'm very sad I won't get to again.

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:23 pm

My Twitter page (https://twitter.com/OlimpiuUrcan) mentions a book by George Ellison, Spike's Chess Primer, published in 1983.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Oh. I had a copy of that early on and remember it as quite a good book. Nice drawings, although those were seemingly by someone else.