Tim Jones

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
JustinHorton

Tim Jones

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Obituary here (paywall). Long-time journalist at the Times, he covered the Fischer-Spàssky match. (He was the subject of a thread on this forum, to which he made several contributions, mostly on the subject of the Reykjavik match.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gordon Cadden

Re: Tim Jones

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:24 am

Interesting that Tim Jones made the point that this was more than just a chess match. This was the height of the "Cold War" period. Iceland was saturated with journalists from all over the world. The Cold War reached a crescendo with this match. Boris Spassky was known for his steely nerves both on and off the chess board, but he was the first to crack-up under the strain of massive publicity. I have three huge scrapbooks from this match, mostly sourced from the United Kingdom and the United States. But what of the other countries that took an interest in this match. The amount of published material must be staggering. This chess match was one of the biggest news stories of all time.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote: The Cold War reached a crescendo with this match
That's not really true, but still......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote: The Cold War reached a crescendo with this match.
I suspect that there was a very slightly more pronounced crescendo between October 16th and October 28th 1962: does anyone recall that?

However, I would agree that the match was world news and probably helped to warm things up a tad.

Rather similar was the impact of table tennis on the relationship between the USA and the PRC during 1971 - 1972.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:57 am

Please give our regards to Mr.Fischer if you're in the same place.
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:17 pm

John Upham wrote:
Gordon Cadden wrote: The Cold War reached a crescendo with this match.
I suspect that there was a very slightly more pronounced crescendo between October 16th and October 28th 1962: does anyone recall that?

However, I would agree that the match was world news and probably helped to warm things up a tad.

Rather similar was the impact of table tennis on the relationship between the USA and the PRC during 1971 - 1972.
Yes, the Cuban Missile Crisis, which fizzled out when Nikita Kruschev backed down. The Robert J. Fischer v. Boris Spassky Match generated far more publicity.