Sir Jeremy Morse

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Ian Thompson

Re: Sir Jeremy Morse

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu May 19, 2016 10:38 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:... He was also Chancellor of the University of Bristol 1989-2003...
Via the University of Bristol's alumni magazine, Nonesuch, I have just been alerted to the following obituary, written by former Vice-Chancellor Sir John Kingman: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/alumni/news/20 ... morse.html.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 19, 2016 11:10 am

I went to the Memorial Service to Sir Jeremy at the St Lawrence Jewry Church in the City on 4 May.
It was very well-attended.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu May 19, 2016 8:14 pm

I hope to be attending the memorial service in Oxford on 3 June on behalf of the ECF in the company of my old friend Chris Jones, secretary of the British Chess Problem Society.

Saul Richman

Post by Saul Richman » Sat May 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Yes - a great man. RIP.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:47 pm

I was a few times Lloyds Bank first team Captain and a odd treasurer role and also the secretary role of the club. (Although, Peter Leat was the main mainstay for the chess for all years until his early death. Peter was the Head of the Technical side of the Security at Lloyds Bank-- he also maintained the SCCU grading system at Horsham, where he had come from.).

Cashpoint was not the only ground breaking networks system, of which Lloyds Bank was the industry leader. Placing safes that dispense money to the High St. (We now call them ATMs, but Cashpoint was a trade name, a brand name of Lloyds, it is now general vocabulary)

Sir Jeremy made Lloyds Bank the Thouroughbred Bank, the Bank to the highest standards, of the highest integrity. I believe that there would not have been a Global Financial Crash if he had still been around. e.g. He was involved with the IMF at the BOE before he came to Lloyds. A very stable Bank.

I actually joined Lloyds Bank, for several reasons, especially mortgages was expensive, But, the chess sponsorship that came from Sir Jeremy's own personal steer for the Lloyds Bank Masters in London. Sir Jeremy also was behind the sponsorship of other chess activities, not just Guernsey. (I am now aware of Leonard Barden's more comprehensive list.)

I was fortunate to have a Divisional head who was a former Suffolk u 18 chess title holder and he allowed me time to play events like Guernsey 1983.
(BTW: At Guernsey, the London YMCA lightning team played in the very strong blitz tournament one night. one pairing was against the Lloyds Bank sponsored Junior Squad u16 team which was headed up by the impressive N L Carr.

The Banks staff magazine has occasional references to Sir Jeremy's work in mindgames. Like his son and himself wining difficult national quiz and crossword competitions. One quiz he created the word "toady" as the solution, as he was into complex and difficult crosswords.
Of course, his chess problem setting and solving was of a very high standard. There are a few good references in these pages to those skills. One thing though above all, Sir Jeremy was a gentleman, and in one obit it was said he could have been a bishop. I would add and say a kindly bishop.
A great man RIP
(FM) Gary Kenworthy, Bletchley
Last edited by Gary Kenworthy on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:Who would have guessed that the Television Series: Inspector Morse, was named after Sir Jeremy Morse.
It is an engima Gordon