John Philpott

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
IanCalvert

Re: John Philpott

Post by IanCalvert » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:16 pm

Over many years, he always seemed to me both a good and a great man of English and Essex chess.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:47 pm

I only met John a couple of times, but I found him to be a gentleman, and a great source of sense with regard to chess (particularly the ECF)

He will be missed, I can't imagine he'll ever be replaced adequately

RIP
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Terrible news. John was a gentleman. Very dedicated. Very straight. Very precise. We travelled to BCF meetings together. In his first year as Essex County Treasurer, he made the accounts sound enthralling and hugely interesting. I have never heard anybody do that before or since.
His points of law, accountancy techniques and best practice was a class act and his E&Y work was also very commendable.

As noted by many - more than, a heavily dedicated West Ham fan with full shirt and boots advertisement. Hardly un-noticeable at County Finals Day, with his football shirt, as he steered several National successes for Essex in the limited grade events. The man who did board counts faster than anybody. Sadly missed. Sorely missed. Mega loss.

He kept his divorce very quiet, but being close to him at that time, it knew it really hit him hard and he kept it pent up.

One year, as top board for Powdermill, I dropped two half points in the Essex League, one was to John. I dealt with the higher grade players - but that game with John I was very lucky to draw. He did nothing wrong.
(FM) Gary Kenworthy, former County President of Essex.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:53 pm

E&Y is Ernst and Young?

Sometimes you only learn things about someone after they have died. I never knew he lived on Mersea Island - I was there on holiday last year. Small world.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:42 pm

I've only just noticed this very sad news. As noted on the Essex Chess Association website, he did so much that one can hardly do him justice in a short tribute. One of his many roles not mentioned above was secretary of Friends of Chess, a charity which has supported many aspiring young players, and various clubs (including Barbican 4NCL) seeking contributions to play in the European Club Cup.

Notwithstanding his many acts of national service, I expect he will be particularly keenly missed in Essex. His presence and input was one of the main reasons Essex has had so many teams in the county finals year after year, and he was indeed, as Gary says, completely on top of board count as match captain, which is harder than it sounds - when the match is equal but still with five games to go, there are so many permutations to calculate ...

He quite often gave me lifts. I remember getting a lift back from a match v Somerset in 2003, I being somewhat drunk after agreeing a quick draw with a Barbican club mate on board one. I think John understood; Arsenal were playing the FA Cup Final that afternoon, after all. I disgraced myself yet more in the County Final of 2006, making my own way back home after losing in two hours. Then, later that evening John made a detour on the way back home to drop in, to say that Essex had won and to give me my personal trophy. We gave him and the others pizzas and beer and sat down to watch France beat Brazil in the QF World Cup. That's the bit of the day that I like to remember...

RIP John, and condolences to his family.
Last edited by Jonathan Rogers on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:36 pm

As another Essex player of many years standing, can I endorse what Jonathan has said. Whilst the wider chess community will miss John because, above all, of his common sense and willingness to communicate when others were not, Essex chess has lost a great friend. The final paragraph of Jonathan's message sums it up and says so much about the man.

John, we will miss you. RIP

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:00 pm

A good man. A straight bat. RIP.

Peter Walker

Post by Peter Walker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Very sad to hear about this. I don't frequent chess pages much these days, but did so by chance today for another reason, only to find this out.

John was a very fine person. My first recollection of him was (I think) our only over-the-board encounter in the Upminster tournament of about 1983. The game ended in a harum-scarum draw after John had to give up his final piece to stop my pawns. From that point during the tournament whenever we bumped into each other we greeted each other with wide grins, the game had been such an enjoyable one. To be honest, I think that really summed up all the remaining occasions that we met one another over the next 20 years or so. I found him to be most helpful and encouraging when I took my first steps as County Junior Organiser, and John was one of the few who bridged the gap between county senior and junior chess and actually turned up to an occasional junior tournament to see what was going on.

He will be sadly missed.

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Like everyone I was very saddened to hear of John's death. He was one of the great rocks of English and Essex chess for so many years, as player, captain and administrator. I knew him best as Essex U180 captain, which role he filled for a very long time, and I think he must have been the most efficient captain I ever played under, who seemed to have absolutely everything worked out and planned for (even my numerous late appearances). Essex's great successes in the 1990 and the 2000s owed much to him. He was a wryly humorous, gentlemanly and multi-faceted character with a wide range of interests, and will be greatly missed.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:55 am

I used to send John my voting intentions for ECF meetings and he was very good at communicating with me and giving his assurances that he had received these.

When I did so for the most recent meeting I sent an email to John, the ECF Webmaster and the Company Secretary. Unusually I did not receive a reply, but I wondered whether that was due to the fact that I only just made the deadline and sent another email on the day of the meeting explaining my selections. I now know the sad reason why I did not get a reply to this second email either.

I think I only met John when I played him in a London League game in the 1980's (We drew with my active rook compensating for being a pawn down), but recently had exchanged emails with him regarding players we both knew and he will be a great loss to British Chess, being highly respected by a number of people.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 pm

I was so shocked that it has taken me three weeks to get my thoughts into some sort of order.

John Philpott was one of the finest chess administrators that I have ever known. More importantly, for over twenty years he was one of the most loyal and supportive friends that it has ever been my privilege to have.

The last significant email exchange I had with him, a month before his death, indicated how much he was enjoying his developing new life in West Mersea. Sadly, that has been cut short.

Rest in peace, John

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:54 am

A substantially expanded version of the above post has now been published on the ECF website at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/john-philpott-rip/.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Thank-you for that, David. A heartfelt tribute. My sympathies to you and others mourning him on what was, as you said, a shock. It is good to be able to read memories and thoughts like these, from those that knew him well. Do you know if there will be a report on the funeral, which I believe was on 8 November?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Thank-you for that, David. A heartfelt tribute. My sympathies to you and others mourning him on what was, as you said, a shock. It is good to be able to read memories and thoughts like these, from those that knew him well. Do you know if there will be a report on the funeral, which I believe was on 8 November?
Christopher, thank you for your kind remarks.

The funeral and the wake were well attended. I was one of several people who spoke at the latter; I gave an abridged version of the tribute which has now been published.

I'm hoping that someone else will volunteer to produce a report.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:41 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I was so shocked that it has taken me three weeks to get my thoughts into some sort of order.

John Philpott was one of the finest chess administrators that I have ever known. More importantly, for over twenty years he was one of the most loyal and supportive friends that it has ever been my privilege to have.

The last significant email exchange I had with him, a month before his death, indicated how much he was enjoying his developing new life in West Mersea. Sadly, that has been cut short.

Rest in peace, John
Likewise I'd not commented as it is virtually impossible to state how crucial his contribution to the ECF has been in the time I was involved. He will be a huge loss and has, to my mind, been the single most important person involved with the board, Council and chess administration. An inspiration to all.