Cambridge International Open

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
John Upham

Re: Cambridge International Open

Post by John Upham » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:47 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:40 am

I couldn't see anything on the link which is a pity as Danny's comments are always interesting.
Danny Gormally wrote: so tired
the brutal schedule of cambridge wiped me out
wish chess had more money and could have more enjoyable schedule 😢
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:51 am

Chris Rice wrote:
I couldn't see anything on the link which is a pity as Danny's comments are always interesting.
It's still there when I click on the link but I don't understand facebook. Do you have to be a friend?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:53 am

John Upham wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:47 am
Chris Rice wrote:

Thanks John, appreciate it.

Danny's comments raise a few questions. I don't know why it was scheduled over 5 days of the school half term but it may have been a short enough outlay of time to attract a lot of players and we'll recall the tournament entries were closed a while before the tournament started.

From the hotel's point of view it would seem surprising if they weren't open to adding a couple of days to the next tournament so that the schedule ends up more like Reykjavik as they presumably would gain from the guests staying at the hotel for longer. Of course, the guests might not be so keen to pay for longer which would attract less entries and the invited guests like Danny who I assume have their accommodation paid for increase the organisers and sponsors costs as well. I'm sure the organisers will take a look at how the first tournament went and the budget they were working to and do a lessons learned exercise on it.

Poor Danny though, getting paid to play two brutal games of chess a day in a fancy hotel, it must have been hell for him, perhaps we should call Amnesty International?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:56 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:53 am
John Upham wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:47 am
Chris Rice wrote:

Thanks John, appreciate it.

Danny's comments raise a few questions. I don't know why it was scheduled over 5 days of the school half term but it may have been a short enough outlay of time to attract a lot of players and we'll recall the tournament entries were closed a while before the tournament started.

From the hotel's point of view it would seem surprising if they weren't open to adding a couple of days to the next tournament so that the schedule ends up more like Reykjavik as they presumably would gain from the guests staying at the hotel for longer. Of course, the guests might not be so keen to pay for longer which would attract less entries and the invited guests like Danny who I assume have their accommodation paid for increase the organisers and sponsors costs as well. I'm sure the organisers will take a look at how the first tournament went and the budget they were working to and do a lessons learned exercise on it.

Poor Danny though, getting paid to play two brutal games of chess a day in a fancy hotel, it must have been hell for him, perhaps we should call Amnesty International? :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:59 am

It wasn't half term here, but I get your point Chris; presumably, if hotels think that a week is ok, they'll be amenable to it; I imagine the timing (February presumably being quiet) is a factor

If there's an appetite for the Reykjavik type schedule, then no doubt someone will give it a go, but unless sponsorship is considerable, it is the amateur players paying entry and hotel fees that will make it financially viable
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:16 pm

It was half-term in Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire which enabled a student of mine to play and have a great time by all accounts and he received a healthy rating boost.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:28 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:59 am

If there's an appetite for the Reykjavik type schedule, then no doubt someone will give it a go, but unless sponsorship is considerable, it is the amateur players paying entry and hotel fees that will make it financially viable
Why not schedule it so that the day with one round is in the middle rather than at the end? Usually these tournaments run 1-2-2-2-2 or 2-2-2-2-1. So put the "rest" morning or afternoon on any of days 2 to 4. That's particularly true if the tournament is somewhere that a tourist or shopping morning or afternoon would be welcome.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:03 pm

The trouble with the half-day in the middle is that it commits a number of your players to staying six nights rather than the five they might have done had it been at the start or the end.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:21 pm

I for one thought the tournament was excellent, and the schedule very agreeable. It meant that I minimised the number of days of annual leave I needed to take, that I could get away Sunday afternoon and get ready for the week ahead, and I really appreciated the big gap between rounds. For me, I would not change a thing, and I hope it's run again.

The venue was terrific and unsurprisingly, Cambridge is a good place to be stuck for 5 days.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:55 pm

"Poor Danny though, getting paid to play two brutal games of chess a day in a fancy hotel, it must have been hell for him, perhaps we should call Amnesty International? :)"

Er, yes... I wouldn't pay to play that brutal schedule, so I chose not to enter. If you accept an invitation... Reykjavik has fewer traffic lights.