Doncaster Chess Congress 23-25/2/24

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Peter Ackley

Doncaster Chess Congress 23-25/2/24

Post by Peter Ackley » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:32 pm

Just to remind people, if you missed it, that the Doncaster Chess Congress is taking place Friday 23rd-Sunday 25th February 2024.

Entries are already at 56, with maximum capacity being somewhere around the 200 mark Further details, including how to enter, can be found at https://mannchess.org.uk/doncong.htm.

A list of current entrants will be made available shortly.

Peter Ackley

Re: Doncaster Chess Congress 23-25/2/24

Post by Peter Ackley » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:41 am

With apologies the entry list has just been sent off for publishing on the website. Entries now stand at 124 with just over two weeks to go.

Peter Ackley

Post by Peter Ackley » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:49 am

With only two days to go until the congress entries now stand at 193! I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for supporting the congress and the committee look forward to seeing you all there. For those concerned about space we have, as with last year, obtained additional space outside of the main hall to allow players greater room.

For those paying cash on the day a gentle reminder that exact change is greatly appreciated - there's over 110 of you to pay on the day and this will speed things up enormously. If you are able to be there that little bit early that would also be great. For those paying on the Saturday payment before the round would be appreciated so I can do a bank run in the middle of the day.

Having received a couple of emails can I remind people:
-your Jan fixed rating determines your section
-your Feb variable rating (from Sunday) is your tournament grade.
As with previous years there are a couple of players who have a grade slightly above the section limit - these players were all below the limit. In January.

We do still have space for late entries so please get in touch if you want to play. Equally if you need to amend or withdraw your entry please let me know ideally before 1600 Thursday (or asap after that if Thursday is not possible - I realise last minute emergencies occur). If you have received a query about your entry and I've said in the email that I cannot make your entry until you respond please respond to me! There's a couple of these still outstanding!

Finally a big thanks to Hall Cross School for once again hosting the congress, to our bookstall who will be there all weekend, to the volunteers who are assisting in setting up the event and everyone who helps us putting it away at the end and to my fellow organisers who run around making things happen whilst I sit on my behind just typing in data.

Peter Ackley

Post by Peter Ackley » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:10 am

I apologise for posting this on two boards but I am trying to make as many people aware as possible before tomorrow’s event.

We have been informed by the school just that there is now an entry code to access the rear parking. We apologise for the late notice but we only found out late yesterday (it wasn’t there when we last visited the school) and were attempting to find a way to see if this could be turned off. Alas not.

I am about to email everyone with the code to speed up access. Please check your emails at 12:00 today. If you’ve not received the code please email me at [email protected] and I will send you the details (I cannot post it on this board).

I don’t think this will have too much impact as the front car park is unaffected; this only affects the rear car park but I would recommend, if possible, leaving a little extra time just in case.