Middlesbrough Congress

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Brian Whitaker

Middlesbrough Congress

Post by Brian Whitaker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm

It is with regret that I have to announce that Middlesbrough Congress will not be taking place in 2012. I'm afraid there are just too many problems that I cannot sort out in the timescale required.

I've been in contact with Middlesbrough Football Club events staff quite a bit over the last few weeks. However, communicating with them has proved very challenging! Eventually, when I did get a reply from them, they informed me that their room hire rates had increased by 60% compared with last year!!! Unfortunately, this has meant that the Riverside Stadium has now become unaffordable as a venue.
Coupled with this problem we also now have a fuller calendar in July than previous years, with Leeds Chess Club running a new congress right in the middle of July, an event at Harrogate at the beginning of the month and next year's British Championships, at North Shields, at the end of the month.

Don't worry, it's not the end of Middlesbrough Congress altogether, rather just an interruption, and it is hoped that I can get things on track again in 2013. It may not be at the Riverside Stadium and it may not be in July, but I'll do my best to keep everyone informed.

Thanks to all those who have supported my last two congresses

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: Middlesbrough Congress

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Brian,

Pity. Not a bad congress at a good venue. Many thanks for your past efforts. Hope you'll have the show back on the road in 2013.

60% hike in fees - I thought the North East had been badly hit by the recession. What's going on?

Jon Mahony

Re: Middlesbrough Congress

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Sorry about Leeds CC filling up more of July with our congress!

Sad to see the congress go, I didn't make it last year but very much enjoyed it in 2010, great venue and lots of space - no “cosy” boards, where you and your opponent are sandwiched in between 4 other players, as you get at some congresses.

Hope to see you back in 2013 :D
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker