Not Sure Championship Relevance?

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
John Upham

Re: Not Sure Championship Relevance?

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:41 am

I had made reference to playground taunting so all of this is only to be expected, sadly.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:21 am

For reference, here is the Adam Raoof for FIDE President group on Facebook;

http://www.facebook.com/groups/136521831765/

I encourage you all to join!

For the record, I am not paid for my role as a Director of the ECF - and that rule is very strictly observed. I do claim expenses. No Directors are paid. However I wouldn't see that as an obstacle to a Director being paid for another role in chess, as long as that role did not represent a conflict of interest to the ECF.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:40 am

Michael J R White wrote:Carl, please be more specific.
I was thinking more about you at the time
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 am

Michael J R White wrote:Why don't you make it relevant and insert some background?
No

Request moderation and then bleat on a little, I think members are able to read between the lines on this one :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 am

I'm going to limit myself to joining in with the support for David Sedgwick and arbiters/organisers in general. While there may be some small legitimacy in Michael's early complaint I'm afraid that it's lost in what seems clear as a general grudge.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 am

Michael J R White wrote:A request which you, as the rule setter, refused. What I have done that is out of your line Carl Hibbard?
You did initially have a point but then you let it get personal and turned into a troll
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:31 am

Michael J R White wrote:
Thomas Rendle wrote:I'm going to limit myself to joining in with the support for David Sedgwick and arbiters/organisers in general. While there may be some small legitimacy in Michael's early complaint I'm afraid that it's lost in what seems clear as a general grudge.
Something is either legitimate or it isn't. There is no relativity about it.
Ok, I see no reason to quibble over the language. I was saying I thought you had a point but that the way you have acted subsequently has been poor (in my opinion).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 am

Michael J R White wrote:Please note, I have been asked to post this (the creator is currently too busy to post themselves):

I don’t want to get too involved in this post as Michael can make his own points. However I would like to point out that David Sedgwick and Brendan O Gorman are playing chess politics.

At a different time David Sedgwick was nearby loudly munching biscuits and making a lot of noise with the bag. Rather than asking him to stop Michael chose to alternate his glance between the biscuit bag and Mr Sedgwick’s face to draw his attention to it. But this received null response and the distraction continued.

The veracity and intention of their remarks in their early interventions in this thread should be viewed in that light as they are clearly trying to pre-empt complaints against their conduct. Roger de Coverley has given his blind support to these two but he joins in everything on the forum.

It’s a good time to remind Mr Sedgwick that the FIDE rules: -

13.2 …… He ( the arbiter ) should ensure that a good playing environment is maintained and that the players are not disturbed…….

13.7 …Spectators and players in other games are not to speak about or otherwise interfere in a game……

also apply to him as a Deputy Arbiter in the event.
I have no recollection at all of this incident, nor of having seen Michael J R White at any time during the event.

I should like to apologise for having disturbed players.

However, the matter had no bearing on any of my earlier posts in this thread. I was not previously aware that my own conduct was at issue.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Let's see if I've understood this correctly. There appear to be three complaints:

i) At the LCC, Adam displayed a sign on the arbiters' desk with the words "Some tournaments start late - get over it!" (I happened to see the sign in question since I was playing in one of the evening blitz tournaments - it did indeed start a few minutes late, and I managed to get over it)
ii) Also at the LCC, Alex H displayed a sign indicating that scoresheets should be placed in a box on the desk, not given to him.
iii) At the BUCA tournament, Alex H displayed a sign indicating the whereabouts of the toilets, and later expressed his frustration that people continued to ask where they were despite having the answer already indicated.

Have I missed some deeper objection here? If the above really are the only 'complaints', then I suggest someone needs to get a sense of perspective.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Michael Jones wrote:If the above really are the only 'complaints', then I suggest someone needs to get a sense of perspective.
If the biggest complaint about the BUCA Championship is that its organiser noted publically that no one was reading a notice he'd put up, then I'm pretty satisfied that the event was a success. Particularly given the complainant has bugger all to do with the event anyway.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Michael J R White wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Michael Jones wrote:If the above really are the only 'complaints', then I suggest someone needs to get a sense of perspective.
If the biggest complaint about the BUCA Championship is that its organiser noted publically that no one was reading a notice he'd put up, then I'm pretty satisfied that the event was a success. Particularly given the complainant has bugger all to do with the event anyway.
Carl Hibbard; Alex Holowczak has refused to apologise for being disrespectful to players, in any way and has been rude again. Why are you busy commenting on posts I have made elsewhere?
I have refused to apologise for being rude to players, because I haven't been rude to players. Instructing people where the scoresheet box is is not, in any way, rude.

I don't even understand why you're complaining about something that nobody who played in the event has actually complained about. I don't understand who you're speaking on behalf of.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Michael J R White wrote:Alex, just a question for you please; Are you one of the arbiters/organisers at the e2e4 event in Dublin and/or High Wycombe?

Please let me know, as it will effect my decision as to whether I play or not. Many Thanks.
Enough, banned for 24 hours just for being annoying
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: If the biggest complaint about the BUCA Championship is that its organiser noted publically that no one was reading a notice he'd put up.
I feel a need for a "Please read all notices" notice: that should solve most of the problems. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Michael J R White wrote:Alex, just a question for you please; Are you one of the arbiters/organisers at the e2e4 event in Dublin and/or High Wycombe?
Please let me know, as it will effect my decision as to whether I play or not. Many Thanks.
Michael,

Alex is potentially arbiting in all events that you have entered and any that you plan to enter.

It might be helpful to all of us if you publish that list. :roll:
Last edited by John Upham on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

John Upham wrote: Alex is potentially arbiting in all events that you have entered and any that you plan to enter. Organisers have been requested to provide this information from now on.
The next e2e4 is at Uplands House, venue of the recent BUCA Championship. Sean may need to put up a notice about the whereabouts of facilities. As he doesn't have a forum account, it will be difficult for him to get the draft passed as non-insulting to chess players.