The London Team Rapidplay - 28/Apr/2012

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Roger de Coverly

Re: The London Team Rapidplay - 28/Apr/2012

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: You can't join for a month.
So don't quote costs per month. If it's the only event they play in, the additional cost for a four player team is around £ 44. Next season it will be up to £ 108 if rates don't go up. If a club is thinking of entering and using general club funds to pay for it, it needs to know these costs. The same applies if it's a group of friends having a whip round.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: So would you describe Sean Hewitt's specifically FIDE rated non-title, no prize money events as merely a social occasion? I have to admit it doesn't seem to discourage entries to his tournaments!
These are heavyweight all play alls at normal move rates over four and a half days. You would prepare seriously for them. If you didn't, you might be fed up with being punched after about three rounds. A one day rapid-play, you might just turn up, sacrifice a few pieces, play some dodgy openings and not be too bothered about quality of play or results. Does everyone take the Golders Green events deadly seriously?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote: So would you describe Sean Hewitt's specifically FIDE rated non-title, no prize money events as merely a social occasion? I have to admit it doesn't seem to discourage entries to his tournaments!
These are heavyweight all play alls at normal move rates over four and a half days. You would prepare seriously for them. If you didn't, you might be fed up with being punched after about three rounds. A one day rapid-play, you might just turn up, sacrifice a few pieces, play some dodgy openings and not be too bothered about quality of play or results. Does everyone take the Golders Green events deadly seriously?
Come along and find out! You are eligible to play in the Open, by virtue of your ECF membership.

http://goldersgreenchess.blogspot.co.uk/
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am

It looks like a late entry from Barbican featuring John Cox on Board 1 is now a strong contender for taking first place - still a few spots left two days to go before the event but not too many now! Looking forward to the event, see you all on Saturday! :)

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 am

The event is now underway, with the time control changed to 20/10 instead of 25/10 in order to change the format (captains were notified a few days beforehand and asked to confirm they were in favour) to a 7-round all-play-all for 8 teams which is great for all involved! :) Round 1 is now underway, snacks and drink are flowing and things appear to be going very well indeed! Report to follow after the end of the event. :)

Many thanks to the Imperial College chess club for helping set up the event and Alex Holowczak for his excellent job as an arbiter.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 am

John Sargent wrote:Many thanks to ... Alex Holowczak for his excellent job as an arbiter.
Bit early for that comment. Let's see what peoeple say at 6pm :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
John Sargent wrote:Many thanks to ... Alex Holowczak for his excellent job so far as an arbiter.
Bit early for that comment. Let's see what peoeple say at 6pm :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Corrected! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:28 pm

3:37pm was the only bit of arbiting so far that I've had to do all day! Adding two minutes to a clock for an illegal move.

Beyond resetting clocks, printing off matchcards, writing up results, and writing the event's grading file ( :!: ), there's not a lot to do during the rounds. Increments and computer-generated APA pairings mean the event has almost run itself. :)

So much so, I've had time to play some of the 2011 county cricket season on International Cricket Captain 2011. If only I could persuade Ben Cox to catch the ball occasionally, we might actually win... :cry:

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:3:37pm was the only bit of arbiting so far that I've had to do all day! Adding two minutes to a clock for an illegal move.

Beyond resetting clocks, printing off matchcards, writing up results, and writing the event's grading file ( :!: ), there's not a lot to do during the rounds. Increments and computer-generated APA pairings mean the event has almost run itself. :)

So much so, I've had time to play some of the 2011 county cricket season on International Cricket Captain 2011. If only I could persuade Ben Cox to catch the ball occasionally, we might actually win... :cry:
From which I conclude that you were neglecting your duties under Article 13.1.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:3:37pm was the only bit of arbiting so far that I've had to do all day! Adding two minutes to a clock for an illegal move.

From which I conclude that you were neglecting your duties under Article 13.1.
What, when I'm playing it during the lunch break?

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:13 pm

In other news not relating to finding ways to make cricket boring (by playing it virtually and not even watching the exciting bits!) during the break, an upset occurred in Round 4 where the Magic Mushrooms were able to take a 2.5-1.5 victory over defending champions Athenaeum! As a result, Barbican are now 2 match points (2 for win, 1 for draw, 0 for loss) ahead going into Round 7, where the two top teams on paper are going to meet in what promises to be an incredibly close match! Full results to follow.

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Barbican have won the event with 14 match points, with Imperial College taking 2nd place and Athenaeum 3rd in a final-round decider where Imperial College managed to pull off a 2.5-1.5 win!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Michael J R White wrote:Second paragraph of original comments states, "there's not a lot to do during the rounds", and third paragraph draws on this with, "So much so", to suggest the time during rounds has been used, as described, on International Cricket Captain.
I'll admit that, when writing that comment, I was trying to see if people were lurking waiting to jump to that conclusion, given the tendency of this forum to so-do. The players could hopefully attest that I was indeed doing my job during play!

Anyway. More importantly, congratulations to John on running an enjoyable, successful event. It ran very smoothly. I will now spend the (two-hour :cry: ) journey home checking the grading file.

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Congress report and results now up at:

http://union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/chess/2012/04 ... d-results/

Copy on the ECForum in the Congress Results section at:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4248

Thanks to all the players and staff involved who made the event a great day for all!

John