32nd Bury St Edmunds Congress, 25-26 October

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Bobjones

32nd Bury St Edmunds Congress, 25-26 October

Post by Bobjones » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:50 pm

This popular event will take place in its usual venue, the 'Apex', in the centre of the town. Entries can be made online at http://www.bsecongress.org.uk. You can download an entry form from the website.

It's my 16th (and final) congress as its organiser. So come and give me a good send-off!

Roger de Coverly

Re: 32nd Bury St Edmunds Congress, 25-26 October

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:20 pm

Bobjones wrote:It's my 16th (and final) congress as its organiser. So come and give me a good send-off!
I know it isn't FIDE rated, but you might wish to clarify whether any of the rules relating to mobile phones and electronic devices will be changed since last year. The ECF appear to be accepting the dictatorship of the CAA as the default position unless Congress organisers declare otherwise. But perhaps your arbiters will walk out if not allowed to impose CAA rules.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:07 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Bobjones wrote:It's my 16th (and final) congress as its organiser. So come and give me a good send-off!
I know it isn't FIDE rated, but you might wish to clarify whether any of the rules relating to mobile phones and electronic devices will be changed since last year. The ECF appear to be accepting the dictatorship of the CAA as the default position unless Congress organisers declare otherwise. But perhaps your arbiters will walk out if not allowed to impose CAA rules.
Oh for goodness sake, Roger. Don't bring this up in every thread about a congress. Leave Bob in peace to organise the congress. If you really want to know how they handle things, enter the tournament and find out yourself. I've never been to this one, so if I'm free that weekend I may well consider going.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:20 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: If you really want to know how they handle things, enter the tournament and find out yourself.
I don't intend to enter a Congress and find out that I've infringed an undisclosed and arbitrary rule by having a switched off mobile phone in my jacket or luggage. It is relevant, as if you travel by car, you can avoid having a phone or electronic device in your possession by leaving it in your car against police advice. If you chose to use public transport that option isn't available.

I played last year at Bury, so the question as to the conditions of play is personally relevant.

It may well be that organisers will enforce a complete "no phones or devices" ban. Those unwilling or unable to comply will not enter their events. It goes against chess promotion but perhaps they just don't care.

Ian Wallis

Post by Ian Wallis » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:37 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: If you really want to know how they handle things, enter the tournament and find out yourself.
I don't intend to enter a Congress and find out that I've infringed an undisclosed and arbitrary rule by having a switched off mobile phone in my jacket or luggage. It is relevant, as if you travel by car, you can avoid having a phone or electronic device in your possession by leaving it in your car against police advice. If you chose to use public transport that option isn't available.

I played last year at Bury, so the question as to the conditions of play is personally relevant.

It may well be that organisers will enforce a complete "no phones or devices" ban. Those unwilling or unable to comply will not enter their events. It goes against chess promotion but perhaps they just don't care.
If you check out the entry form obtainable from the link provided it states about mobile phones

"Mobile Phones
These must be switched off at all times within the playing area. If a mobile phone makes any sound during play, that person will lose the game."

Which, I would think, tells you the organisers approach to this subject.

Bobjones

Post by Bobjones » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:46 pm

The entry form also states, under the heading 'Quickplay Finish', "The new FIDE rule (Appendix G.4) will not apply." So, Roger, we very much hope to see you again this year, and Chris Kreuzer too!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Bobjones wrote:The entry form also states, under the heading 'Quickplay Finish', "The new FIDE rule (Appendix G.4) will not apply."
I was trying to figure out what this meant. Presuming the previous interpretation that a draw could be awarded by the arbiter in some circumstances to a player otherwise in danger of a loss of time, does this just mean that the clock substitution rule won't apply?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Bobjones wrote:The entry form also states, under the heading 'Quickplay Finish', "The new FIDE rule (Appendix G.4) will not apply."
I was trying to figure out what this meant. Presuming the previous interpretation that a draw could be awarded by the arbiter in some circumstances to a player otherwise in danger of a loss of time, does this just mean that the clock substitution rule won't apply?
It seems clear to me. The new FIDE laws say that, when an arbiter is present, if you wish to avoid a loss on time in a Quickplay finish where there is no risk of you losing on the board you have to request that the remainder of the game is played with a time delay or cumulative time. Only if that request is refused can you claim a draw under Law G.5 (previously Law 11.2). The organisers are effectively saying that all requests for a clock change under Law G.4 will be refused, so players can go straight to Law G.5.

Bobjones

Post by Bobjones » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 am

The organisers are effectively saying that all requests for a clock change under Law G.4 will be refused, so players can go straight to Law G.5.
Precisely that. Not all boards will be using digital clocks anyway.

Bobjones

Post by Bobjones » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:45 pm

With just under two weeks to go, entries have now exceeded 100. The Open section looks very strong, with eight players graded over 200 (so far). You can enter (and pay) online at http://www.bsecongress.org.uk.

Bobjones

Post by Bobjones » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:22 pm

With 11 players graded over 200, the Open section will be the strongest ever at Bury St Edmunds. With five days to go, entries have now exceeded 155 and only 12 places remain before the venue is full. If you wish to enter, do so now!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Bobjones wrote:With 11 players graded over 200, the Open section will be the strongest ever at Bury St Edmunds.
It's odd the way these things pan out. The Scarborough Congress which clashes with Bury now has 12 players over 200 headed up by James Adair at 245 and a total of 66 players in the Open. But Bury has Matthew Sadler at 280.

By contrast the Herts Congress on 8/9 November only has 2 entrants so far in the Open.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:11 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Bobjones wrote:With 11 players graded over 200, the Open section will be the strongest ever at Bury St Edmunds.
It's odd the way these things pan out. The Scarborough Congress which clashes with Bury now has 12 players over 200 headed up by James Adair at 245 and a total of 66 players in the Open. But Bury has Matthew Sadler at 280.

By contrast the Herts Congress on 8/9 November only has 2 entrants so far in the Open.
Thanks for the advert, Roger.

Bury is this coming weekend and it is good to see that has such a strong entry. Herts is two weeks later so there still plenty of time to consider entering.

The Online Booking system is a real boon to both organisers and entrants. Some regular congress players like to plan well ahead and book as soon as the registration list opens. Many others like to wait until the last minute before signing up. Also, being able to view the list of entrants online allows players to suss out the opposition.

Well done to Bob Jones for organising Bury St Edmunds. You will be a hard act to follow for whoever takes over next year.

Bobjones

Post by Bobjones » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:49 am

Colours will be determined by the result of the Championship football match being played this evening (Friday) between Fulham and Charlton.

If the total number of goals scored in the match is even (including a 0-0 draw), then the highest graded player in each section will be White in Round 1. If the total number of goals is odd, then the top player will be Black in Round 1. If the match is postponed, it will count as a 0 -0 draw for the purposes of determining colours. If more than one person has the same grade, they will be placed in alphabetical order.

Total entries - 165.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Where is the crosstable?