York Congress 2015?

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Jon Mahony

York Congress 2015?

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi All,

Anyone got any idea if the January York congress will be going ahead this year? I know they had a break last year because of the venue charging extortionate rates. I've heard rumours of a new venue being found / reconciliation with the old venue, but nothing concrete.

Cheers
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

MartinCarpenter

Re: York Congress 2015?

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Think there was some sort of unfortunate mix up involved last year too :(

I haven't heard anything concrete but it definitely sounded like they were planning to hold it when I last asked Neville about it back in May. Where I'm not sure. A bit worrying that it isn't on the ECF calendar yet though. I'll try to remember to ask in a couple of weeks.

Really don't want to go missing for two years running or it might be hard to restart it.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Yes I was wondering why it wasn’t on the ECF calendar by now, that’s what prompted my question, you would think entry forms would start appearing by October at the latest too.

I always enjoy York, it breaks up the gap before Doncaster and Blackpool nicely as well, last year it felt like an awful long time since I’d played a congress (November - late Feb).

Personally I think the size of the venue is really unnecessary, 4 medium sized sections in each corner of a massive gym room, not half the floor space is used. It could easily be moved to somewhere smaller and cheaper (though as a congress organiser I know finding that balance can be tricky).

I was a bit miffed with them last time it was on, as the congress organiser rang me up and said I’d have to play in the intermediate rather than the minor, because my live YCA grade had gone 2 points over the limit, and id beat a few 130/40’s that season (the ECF and fixed YCA grade were well under). It did come across like they were a bit scared of me taking the full 5 points (it’s a “points mean prizes” congress the Nole Boulstread special!) and they might have to pay out full prize money to someone, so they just moved the goal posts.

I think I’d definitely forgive that and enter this year though, I’d be in the Inter no questions asked this time and though prize money is nice, I mainly play for the love of the game.

EDIT: Spelling

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Venue tough I think. The University was basically brilliant but really did turn too expensive :( The sports hall is/was OK but definitely not as nice.

Finding somewhere large enough in the center of York at a sane price isn't hugely likely but maybe they'll manage something.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Yes, anything in York, add an extra zero column to the price :lol:

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:40 am

Well I got a chance to ask a few likely people last night and while it isn't confirmed dead yet but the outlook doesn't look terribly positive at the moment :(

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:44 am

Fairly firmly dead this year at least it seems. Not just venue issues - seemingly a shortage of willing organisers too :( Harder to fix that.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Indeed, never mind :( might have to go a bit further afield for a post Xmas congress next year

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:37 pm

There have been good reports about Shropshire (3-4 Jan) and if you fancy a one-day rapidplay, there's Stockport on 29 January which is usually good

Maybe Yorkshire has forsaken chess for cycling now?
http://letour.yorkshire.com/tour-de-yorkshire
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:I always enjoy York, it breaks up the gap before Doncaster and Blackpool nicely
What's the date for Doncaster 2015?

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Dragoljub Sudar wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:I always enjoy York, it breaks up the gap before Doncaster and Blackpool nicely
What's the date for Doncaster 2015?
I don't think the entry forms are out yet, but it's usually around Feb the 28th.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Mick Norris wrote:There have been good reports about Shropshire (3-4 Jan) and if you fancy a one-day rapidplay, there's Stockport on 29 January which is usually good

Thanks for the plug, Mick. :)

Shropshire is indeed the first weekend of January (3-4). We will be launching the website and entry details very soon. Last year there were a number of entrants who came to us from Yorkshire and more are certainly welcome. We are making a few changes to the layout of the rooms to give more elbow room which was one of the few criticisms we had last year in our feedback exercise.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Mick Norris wrote:There have been good reports about Shropshire (3-4 Jan) and if you fancy a one-day rapidplay, there's Stockport on 29 January which is usually good

Thanks for the plug, Mick. :)

Shropshire is indeed the first weekend of January (3-4). We will be launching the website and entry details very soon. Last year there were a number of entrants who came to us from Yorkshire and more are certainly welcome. We are making a few changes to the layout of the rooms to give more elbow room which was one of the few criticisms we had last year in our feedback exercise.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:We are making a few changes to the layout of the rooms to give more elbow room which was one of the few criticisms we had last year in our feedback exercise.
Did you ever manage to tidy up and publish the pgn scores of the live games at least?