Shropshire Chess Congress 3-4 January 2015

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Sedgwick

Re: Shropshire Chess Congres 3-4 January 2015

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:38 am

NickFaulks wrote:I don't thnk there is a lot of support within FIDE for reducing the time limit, although it might be argued that 2200 is too low. In any case you don't see many rating restricted tournaments with a higher limit than that.
If the limit were raised to, say, 2400, you would see more U2400 tournaments.

NickFaulks wrote:A formal and reasoned request from the ECF, as we move towards the 1.7.2017 revisions, might help. Ideally, this would not be headed "Why is Kirsan killing chess?", since that approach has been shown not to work.
As you may have seen above, I've switched to "Why is the Qualification Commission preventing tournaments in which Nick Faulks would like to play?"

NickFaulks wrote:Finally, I seem to remember playing in tournaments in the 1970s with three four hour games on Saturday. It was a tough schedule, but a lot of young players survived it and emerged very strong. Is that really out of the question today? My recommendation would be 40/90 + 25 with a 5" increment.
I think that's a financial issue. Nowadays it's more expensive to hire venues for that length of time than it was in the 1970s.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:45 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:With regard to your player survey, speaking as a player, I'd be one of the first entries on your list if the event had an incremental time control. I hardly ever get to play them, because all of the Midlands-based events I could play in that have increments are the ones I organise/arbit at... :cry:
Alex

You would be very welcome in Manchester for the Autumn Congress, assuming you are referring to increments in longplay events
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:59 am

NickFaulks wrote:The first is that tournaments including players rated 2200 and over must allow each player at least two hours thinking time for a game. The idea is that FIDE ratings are based on serious chess, and this is one part of the definition. I don't thnk there is a lot of support within FIDE for reducing the time limit, although it might be argued that 2200 is too low. In any case you don't see many rating restricted tournaments with a higher limit than that.
I take a different view. If FIDE have a Rapidplay rating list and a Blitz rating list, and another list which is a subset of standardplay chess, since there is a hole within standardplay which is rating dependent. I think that list should be for standardplay chess, and so if the Laws of Chess define standardplay as anything with at least 1 hour thinking time for a game, then that should be included in the main list. If the players don't think that chess is serious, or that it is an abomination to put their FIDE-rating on the line over such a short time limit, then few tournaments of that nature will be organised, because they won't get any entries. If the players embrace it, and more FIDE-rated chess is played, this is surely a good thing?

I've wondered what might happen if there was one FIDE-rating list, but k varied depending on the length of the game. To pluck numbers from the air at random, in addition to k = 20, you might have k = 4 for Rapidplay and k = 1 for Blitz. You might have shorter standardplay games at k = 10. I suspect this is far too radical to be a serious consideration, but I think it's an interesting concept.

One theoretical statistical advantage of this would be increasing the number of games in the pot. If ratings are an approximation of strength, that must be a good thing.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:With regard to your player survey, speaking as a player, I'd be one of the first entries on your list if the event had an incremental time control. I hardly ever get to play them, because all of the Midlands-based events I could play in that have increments are the ones I organise/arbit at... :cry:
Alex

You would be very welcome in Manchester for the Autumn Congress, assuming you are referring to increments in longplay events
I meant any chess. If that's the one at the end of August, I'm usually standing in a field counting to 6 at that time of year, I'm afraid.

I remember looking at the tournament calendar on the first Saturday of the October half-term. Unusually, I had no chess engagements on that weekend, or the one that followed. I wondered if there were any tournaments on that I could play on the following weekend. Going down the list, there were two Rapidplays in London, a closed Cambridgeshire tournament, the British Rapidplay, and a junior event in Kent. Of the three I could have played in, I rejected the British Rapidplay for various reasons. The London events were just too a bit difficult to get to from here without a super-early start.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:45 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Finally, I seem to remember playing in tournaments in the 1970s with three four hour games on Saturday. It was a tough schedule, but a lot of young players survived it and emerged very strong. Is that really out of the question today?
As a fellow survivor, yes it is. Market forces, basically an aversion to early starts and late finishes forced the adoption of three and half hour sessions. That's not just players, it's arbiters/organisers as well, who have to be there at both the start and finish of play every day.

It's a strange attitude that FIDE is prepared to rate games with a session length of two hours and a session length of four hours, but nothing in between.

The easy way out of the 40 move problem is not to have an intermediate time control. It's a menace anyway with the combination of digital clocks and arbiters unwilling to allow press counters to be used. I would have thought five seconds too short, if there's going to be lengthy play living on the increment. All the increment move rates under thirty seconds suffer the potential or real disadvantage of not being able to terminate games under the fifty move rule (or repetition). There was a practical example at the London Classic Rapidplay which held up the schedule. Was it drawn because the player seeking a win eventually got bored with the attempt, or was a fifty move claim possible? The new 75 move rule enables an arbiter to eventually step in, but when do they start counting up to 75?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
Alex

I meant any chess. If that's the one at the end of August, I'm usually standing in a field counting to 6 at that time of year, I'm afraid.
Yes, that's the one - why are you standing in a field counting to 6 by the way? There is Leek in September as well of course, which from memory uses increments (and is FIDE rated?)

Apologies to Steve for derailing his thread - play at Shropshire, I am told it is excellent :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Yes, that's the one - why are you standing in a field counting to 6 by the way? There is Leek in September as well of course, which from memory uses increments (and is FIDE rated?)
Because that's how many balls are in an over! I don't think Leek isn't FIDE-rated anymore.
Mick Norris wrote:Apologies to Steve for derailing his thread - play at Shropshire, I am told it is excellent :D
Absolutely! Venue is excellent, and I'm looking forward to my weekend there.

David Blower

Re: Shropshire Chess Congress 3-4 January 2015

Post by David Blower » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:30 pm

I don't know the full details, but I do know that a tournament for 3 days means I have to book 3 days off work which is not always practical and a tournament starting on Friday evening can make a difference as to whether I play in the tournament or not.

As for games being FIDE rated, I would be in favour of having some kind of world ranking rather than just an ECF one.

As for incremental time controls I would rather "best chess" wins when possible. Regardless of if people like it or not, I just think that is the way chess is going. Believe it or not, matches are not going to run forever.

Steve with regards to the congress I have heard from those who went last year that the catering is brilliant.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
It's a strange attitude that FIDE is prepared to rate games with a session length of two hours and a session length of four hours, but nothing in between.
Not at all. There is only one rating taken seriously by serious players, and that is the FIDE standard rating. The rapid and blitz ratings were introduced for PR reasons, but nobody treats them very seriously. At this year's elite event in Norway, a blitz event took place which was not announced as either rated or unrated. When the players were asked afterwards which they had believed at the time, the typical reply was that they didn't know because they didn't care. I can assure you this would not happen in a standard event.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Hey, what happened to my thread! :) A couple of days away and it's full of 'k' numbers. I am very happy to debate the pros and cons of FIDE rating AFTER this weekend!

We have now passed 150 entries, our highest ever. A few withdrawals means we may have a few less than that sitting down on Saturday morning, but more entries arriving as I type.

Many thanks for all the nice comments above about the Shropshire congress. Still room for more forumites ....

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:13 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:Hey, what happened to my thread! :) A couple of days away and it's full of 'k' numbers. I am very happy to debate the pros and cons of FIDE rating AFTER this weekend!

We have now passed 150 entries, our highest ever. A few withdrawals means we may have a few less than that sitting down on Saturday morning, but more entries arriving as I type.

Many thanks for all the nice comments above about the Shropshire congress. Still room for more forumites ....
Point taken, but to ignore it...

If you do your questionnaire, could one of the questions be "would you like your games in the event to be FIDE rated, other things being equal?". The results would be valuable in judging whether an effort to make other things equal would be worthwhile.

It sounds as though the event will be a great success, and I hope to be there twelve months from now.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Steve Rooney wrote:Hey, what happened to my thread! :) A couple of days away and it's full of 'k' numbers. I am very happy to debate the pros and cons of FIDE rating AFTER this weekend!

Point taken, but to ignore it...

If you do your questionnaire, could one of the questions be "would you like your games in the event to be FIDE rated, other things being equal?". The results would be valuable in judging whether an effort to make other things equal would be worthwhile.

It sounds as though the event will be a great success, and I hope to be there twelve months from now.
Look forward to seeing you in 2016, Nick.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:18 pm

You know the one about the dog ate my homework ... well, this is what happened to one of the cheques posted for the congress ...

... best to use the online entry system - otherwise my dog Paddy might eat it!

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:12 pm

If anyone is looking for accommodation for the congress, there is a room at Telford Ramada available for Sat night - pm if interested

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm

I am glad I made the decision to go to it. I am now recovering at home, and will try and switch off tonight, before tomorrow having a chance to win the congress! As of course have many other people so far.

As for the catering, I don't ever remember having hot food before at a congress. Superb!