Bristol Winter Congress Feb 20-22nd

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
geoffgammon

Bristol Winter Congress Feb 20-22nd

Post by geoffgammon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:25 pm

The Bristol Winter Congress will take place from Friday 20th Feb to Sunday 22nd Feb 2015 at Bristol Grammar School, University Road, Bristol, BS8 1SR.

The Open section will be FIDE rated, use an incremental time control and carry a British Championship Qualifying Place (subject to 20 or more competitors).

The entry form can be accessed here and at the time of writing entries are building up nicely.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is obviously as confused as I am!

NickFaulks

Re: Bristol Winter Congress Feb 20-22nd

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Why is it that the Major ( which I would enter if I could ) and the Minor are allowed a civilised time control whereas the Open is G/90? I just don't understand anything about Emglish chess any more.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Why is it that the Major ( which I would enter if I could ) and the Minor are allowed a civilised time control whereas the Open is G/90? I just don't understand anything about Emglish chess any more.
90 minutes with 30 second increments. The Open is a FIDE rated event. That time control, G/120 or 40/100 + 20 are those mandated by FIDE if they are expecting entries from players over 2200 and using nominal four hour sessions. Using increments avoids arbiters having to declare whether a Rook beats a Knight by normal means and not having increments for Major and Minor means you don't need digital clocks if you don't have enough, or may not have enough if you exceed the expected entry.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:14 pm

When FIDE tried to make G/90 the universal standard there was outcry in England that this represented a brutal attack on serious chess. It did, and a campaign to roll it back was launched, which was eventually successful. FIDE admitted defeat, and G/90 has not been used for some time in any of its official events.

Inevitably, now that FIDE no longer likes it, opinion in England has swung right round, and G/90 is the time control of choice. Some things are so predictable.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:23 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Inevitably, now that FIDE no longer likes it, opinion in England has swung right round, and G/90 is the time control of choice. Some things are so predictable.
If you just have one round a day and a whole day to schedule it, there's little point in restricting yourself to a four hour session. That's the basis of the objection to 90 30 (I assume that's what you mean) for one round a day events. But many British events have two or even three rounds in a day.

Please tell us then, what time control we should be using? Assume two rounds a day and an arbiter aversion to Appendix G claims. You might also assume a player aversion to early starts, late finishes and potentially long gaps between rounds. Also assume a player aversion to being forced to defend long endings at rapid speed without an escape route.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:20 pm

I realise that arbiters who have for decades handled quickplay finishes no longer wish to do so. No problem, digital clocks with a a 5 second increment can deal with that - I don't see why 3 seconds isn't enough, but the feeling here is that modern players can't be expected to make a move in 3 seconds. I also realise that modern players have fallen into the habit of reaching a theoretically drawn position and then claiming their right to a draw without playing any more moves. That was never the intention and they will have to get used to playing out endings.

I therefore suggest 40/100 plus 20, with a 5 second increment. If time is tight, start with 40/95.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:31 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I therefore suggest 40/100 plus 20, with a 5 second increment. If time is tight, start with 40/95.
What about my final point?
Also assume a player aversion to being forced to defend long endings at rapid speed without an escape route.
It's not known whether arbiters would accept a 50 move claim based on ticks on a scoresheet, but you might need ten or fifteen seconds to do this.

Actually it's Sean Hewitt's fault. He started running tournaments on the 1-2-2 structure using 90 30 with 10.00 am and 3.00 pm start times on the Saturdays and Sundays. The overrun problems didn't materialise to any great extent and regular Congress players became accustomed to such move rates and having to take responsibility for forcing draws with 50 move and threefold repetition claims.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:05 am

There is a guaranteed prize fund of £1000, but as far as I can see there are no declared prizes. I don't really see the logic in that.
Last edited by Matthew Turner on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:26 am

Matthew Turner wrote:There is a guaranteed rise fund of £1000....
I wish that all congress funds were guaranteed to rise! :-)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 am

Corrected

geoffgammon

Post by geoffgammon » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:21 pm

The guaranteed £1000 prize fund applies to the whole congress - 3 sections and I am assured that it will rise if the entries warrant this.
The Open section being FIDE rated and using increments is something new for a Bristol event and whilst we hope this will attract plenty of entrants we are 'testing the water' as it were. I am informed that the prize fund for the Open will be larger than for each of the other sections and will happily post more specific details if they become available.

entries so far
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is obviously as confused as I am!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:33 pm

Well, you've tested the water as far as I'm concerned. I've had enough of G/90 in Olympiads to last me a lifetime, and after fighting the good fight to get FIDE to abandon it I'm not going to travel across the country to play it in England. Is there anywhere in this country I can still play to a civilised time control such as 40/100? If I'm required to get my ECF grade below 160 I may have to consider that.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Is there anywhere in this country I can still play to a civilised time control such as 40/100?
It's still a popular time control where there are four hour sessions and arbiters who believe in the "it must be 40" standard for the time control. You only get four hour sessions with Friday evening play. Blackpool next month is one example.
http://www.blackpoolchess.org.uk/index.php/2015-event and Exeter another
http://www.chessdevon.co.uk/East%20Devo ... 20Form.pdf

Exeter is likely to use traditional clocks.

Closer to London, the Herts Congress used 36/90 + 15 for three rounds on Saturday and two on Sunday. I think they had some Appendix G issues this year, so they may well switch to increments for October/November 2015.

Kidlington, this weekend, which had been G/105 without increments for many years switched to 90 15 last year. That's three rounds on Saturday of course so three and half hour sessions, and not FIDE rateable unless they ban players over 2200.

UK arbiters don't like using move counters, so when using a digital clock and a move based time control, expect to play part of the game with the clock indicating the incorrect time available for the next move.

While FIDE may have abandoned 90 30 in "official" events, it remains very much a standard rate of play particularly where there are two rounds in a day.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: Is there anywhere in this country I can still play to a civilised time control such as 40/100?
It's still a popular time control where there are four hour sessions and arbiters who believe in the "it must be 40" standard for the time control. You only get four hour sessions with Friday evening play. Blackpool next month is one example.
http://www.blackpoolchess.org.uk/index.php/2015-event and Exeter another
http://www.chessdevon.co.uk/East%20Devo ... 20Form.pdf

Exeter is likely to use traditional clocks.

Closer to London, the Herts Congress used 36/90 + 15 for three rounds on Saturday and two on Sunday. I think they had some Appendix G issues this season, so they may well switch to increments for October/November 2015.

Kidlington, this weekend, which had been G/105 without increments for many years switched to 90 15 last year. That's three rounds on Saturday of course so three and half hour sessions, and not FIDE rateable unless they ban players over 2200.

UK arbiters don't like using move counters, so when using a digital clock and a move based time control, expect to play part of the game with the clock indicating the incorrect time available for the next move.

While FIDE may have abandoned 90 30 in "official" events, it remains very much a standard rate of play particularly where there are two rounds in a day.

geoffgammon

Post by geoffgammon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Reports and crosstables can be viewed here

Open section games can be viewed here