GETTING READY FOR WARWICK - ARE YOU?

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Gilbert

GETTING READY FOR WARWICK - ARE YOU?

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Finding my sun glasses in my car yesterday reminded me that Summer is around the corner and that means, of course, the British Championships are creeping-up on us. Checking the website there are already 96 entries, including my three appearances. The biggest numbers are in the Under 140s, Under 120s and the Under 125 weekender. But little to shout about in the Championship proper, this time last year there were already five or six early-bird GMs. My student accommodation is booked and I’m planning my in-car entertainment. The tunes of Justin Townes-Earle (Steve Earle’s estranged son); the band Daughter; and the amazing hard blues voice of Lucinda Williams (not her soft country one). The comedy section this year is the complete series 4 of John Finnemore brilliant ‘Cabin Pressure’. “Yellow Car”!

Are you coming? What will you be listening to, or watching, or reading? It’s going to be another scorcher!

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: GETTING READY FOR WARWICK - ARE YOU?

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Was thinking more in terms of Coventry, myself.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:19 am

The main bulk of students always seemed rather more into Leamington/Kenilworth than Coventry, although I was never quite sure why myself.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:01 am

Oh, for heaven's sake, Martin! Have you ever been to Coventry? :roll:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:20 pm

David Robertson wrote: Have you ever been to Coventry? :roll:
Yes, I like both Cathedrals :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Goodness, I even lived there for a couple of years while at Warwick :) Not where I'd choose to live given an absolutely free choice, but not so terrible.

The stained glass in the modern cathedral is very nice.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Very much looking forward :D

For the last 3-4 years I have booked the time off work and then for what ever reason (mainly club mates who said they were going, gradually dropping out as the time drew near) ended up not bothering, using the week off to watch the pod casts from Andrew Martin and regretting I hadn’t gone.

So this year I thought sod it and booked accommodation and tourney entries as soon as the Jan grading came out, so there would be no changing my mind.

Doing the U140’s championship the U150 weekender and as the RP rating has taken a blip recently, the U125 rapid play. Didn’t bother entering an afternoon FIDE open in the end, I would probably be regretting it by the Wednesday, I shall be content watching the GM games :)

I'm off on the train, must get around to booking advanced tickets soon, before prices get ridiculous!
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:58 pm

20+ years playing competitive* chess, and never played in the British.

Till now! All booked up and looking forward to going to Coventry. Been sent there often enough, so it's about time I went of my own volition.

*actual results may indicate otherwise
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm

A good start. The entry list was updated today with numbers rising to144. That’s a little ahead of last year. Mark Hebden and Glenn Flear are the first GMs to show their hands. Most of the adult events seem to be doing all right, with the Weekend Under 125 and the Under 140 proving most popular.

Unfortunately the six episodes of the 4th Series of Cabin Pressure were irresistible, now they’re gone. Although “Fizz - Buzz - Have a banana.” will remain with me for the rest of my life. So I’m scanning Amazon for replacement entertainment and much needed rehabilitation.

So who else is coming?

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri May 01, 2015 8:13 am

I am entered for the U125 weekender and I will probably drop in a few times during the first week to watch some games. I have very little excuse not to, as I live in Coventry. During the 2nd week I will be on holiday in Cornwall.
MartinCarpenter wrote:The main bulk of students always seemed rather more into Leamington/Kenilworth than Coventry, although I was never quite sure why myself.
Never mind where the majority of the students live, the venue is definitely in Coventry and not (as the title of the topic suggests in Warwick) :roll:

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri May 01, 2015 8:56 am

Not sure if the Uni is strictly in Coventry as such :) It does feel rather more like its own island.

Name has always confused me slightly. Wiki seems to suggest its named after the county rather than the town, which makes a fair bit of sense.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri May 01, 2015 9:17 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:Not sure if the Uni is strictly in Coventry as such :) It does feel rather more like its own island.

Name has always confused me slightly. Wiki seems to suggest its named after the county rather than the town, which makes a fair bit of sense.
And of course there is also Coventry Uni, which is right in the city centre

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri May 01, 2015 9:53 am

[quote="David Gilbert"]
Unfortunately the six episodes of the 4th Series of Cabin Pressure were irresistible, now they’re gone. Although “Fizz - Buzz - Have a banana.” will remain with me for the rest of my life. So I’m scanning Amazon for replacement entertainment and much needed rehabilitation.

You might want to take a look at Hut 33

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007r8hg

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri May 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks Matthew. I've not got the hang of Hut 33, so I've gone for Series 3 and 4 of Old Harry's Game, John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme Series 2 and the Zurich finale of Cabin Pressure. If anyone hasn't discovered John Finnimore's Souvenir Programme try this sketch on Dog Shows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx0lgwUFMJk

So something amusing for Kos next week and the World Amateur Chess championships, and something to laugh at in Warwick.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed May 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Oooo! Just had a peep at the British website. More entries. Nick Pert, Jonathan Hawkins, Danny Gormally, John Emms, Simon Williams and Chris Ward have joined Mark Hebden and Glenn Flear at the top of the list. Now 222 overall. It’s warming up!