The Real Deal! 4.5 guarantees £100

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Marinel Miu

Re: The Real Deal! 4.5 guarantees £100

Post by Marinel Miu » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 am

Nick Grey wrote:Appears NOT to be ECF or FIDE rules.
Not something that I can really suggest to my club, or leagues.
What "appears" to you I can confirm as the organiser that is correct.
If you don't want to suggest the tournament to your colleagues... then don't!
To anyone interested in the tournament I advise to visit the organiser's website or email the organiser directly for details.
Don't let yourself manipulated by biased posts.
If you are solely into rating and NOTmotivated by prizes you can play FIDE rated games online from the comfort of your sofa using the FIDE endorsed platform. If few years this will end the over the board tournaments that offer only rating points and no or little prizes. Why bother to travel when you can get the same from home?
The future of over the board chess can survive only by offering a good prize money to convince chess players to leave the comfort of their sofa.
To conclude Mr Grey this tournament "appears" to offer the followings for £40 entry fee:
£250 1st Place
£150 2nd Place
£100 guaranteed to all players scoring 4.5 unless they win a higher prize
£100 for the best player in the last 4 rounds
a chance to fell like a human by playing your game in a nice venue with air conditioning and decent toilets
free wifi inside the hotel premises
complimentary water in the playing room
more bonus prizes can be added based on the entries received to give something to play for to as many players as possible

Marinel Miu

Post by Marinel Miu » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:15 am

NickFaulks wrote:If that is what he means, I don't see why it is a reason to avoid the event. Perhaps some entrants might play more freely if their ratings/grades are not at risk, just money.
Thank You Mr Faulks,
this is exactly what the tournament is all about. Free chess motivated by prizes, open to all equally.

Marinel Miu

Post by Marinel Miu » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 am

The name of the tournament is CHESS FREEDOM 4.5, starting from September 26 at Jurys Inn Watford.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Marinel Miu wrote: Why bother to travel when you can get the same from home?
Until such time as it becomes compulsory to play serious on-line chess with a webcam switched on, online chess is only skittles. You can never be sure your opponent is who they say they are, or not consulting a friend, book or database during play. That's before you even get to the issue that they might be consulting a computer engine for suggestions or help with calculations.

Marinel Miu

Post by Marinel Miu » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Marinel Miu wrote: Why bother to travel when you can get the same from home?
Until such time as it becomes compulsory to play serious on-line chess with a webcam switched on, online chess is only skittles. You can never be sure your opponent is who they say they are, or not consulting a friend, book or database during play. That's before you even get to the issue that they might be consulting a computer engine for suggestions or help with calculations.
I totally agree with you, but some young players obsessed with rating will be happy just to win themselves a FIDE status recognition at any costs even this means cheating. They can't stand the fact that other players are superior and they will be tempted to cheat just to keep up.
In the old days good players like Bobby Fisher would not even say Hello to you if the money is not right. He does not even wanted the recognition of being the world champion if he's not paid. He was correct all the way. Chess players should be given the opportunity to earn money based on their skills like any other sport discipline.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Marinel Miu wrote: I totally agree with you, but some young players obsessed with rating will be happy just to win themselves a FIDE status recognition at any costs even this means cheating. They can't stand the fact that other players are superior and they will be tempted to cheat just to keep up.
A rather outrageous claim :roll:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:40 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Marinel Miu wrote: I totally agree with you, but some young players obsessed with rating will be happy just to win themselves a FIDE status recognition at any costs even this means cheating. They can't stand the fact that other players are superior and they will be tempted to cheat just to keep up.
Which seems based on a rather serious misapprehension.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:00 pm

"The future of over the board chess can survive only by offering a good prize money to convince chess players to leave the comfort of their sofa"

This claim seems ignore far more OTB chess happening without any prize money. In leagues, County Chess etc. As well as other organisers of tournaments.

Hope to see you OTB sometime.

As many organisers e-mail or write to me politely & you seem to want support I suggest you follow their lead.

Marinel Miu

Post by Marinel Miu » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Nick Grey wrote:"The future of over the board chess can survive only by offering a good prize money to convince chess players to leave the comfort of their sofa"

This claim seems ignore far more OTB chess happening without any prize money. In leagues, County Chess etc. As well as other organisers of tournaments.

Hope to see you OTB sometime.

As many organisers e-mail or write to me politely & you seem to want support I suggest you follow their lead.
Dear Mr Grey, I plan to play in the Hampstead tournament this weekend, if you enter who knows maybe Adam will pair us against each other.
The last part of your post I did not like at all, maybe because English is not my mother tongue I can misunderstand the meaning of your last sentence.
Just to eliminate any confusion I never sent anybody an email or message that was not respectful, if you support free chess or chess freedom you are more than welcome to help but please don't suggest me to follow anybody's lead.
Regards,
Marinel Miu

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:45 pm

Marinel,
Enjoy Hampstead, Adam's tournaments are excellent.
I have a prior engagement this weekend - that is a shame - so no playing chess for me.
Will see you some other time as I think it is far better to talk face to face rather than post on forums.
Nick

Marinel Miu

Post by Marinel Miu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 am

Nick Grey wrote:Marinel,
Enjoy Hampstead, Adam's tournaments are excellent.
I have a prior engagement this weekend - that is a shame - so no playing chess for me.
Will see you some other time as I think it is far better to talk face to face rather than post on forums.
Nick
Totally agree. Thank You

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:19 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Marinel Miu wrote:I totally agree with you, but some young players obsessed with rating will be happy just to win themselves a FIDE status recognition at any costs even this means cheating. They can't stand the fact that other players are superior and they will be tempted to cheat just to keep up.
It is such a silly claim I think I will let it stand so people can form their own opinion.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:08 am

Carl, why would you even consider censoring it? It may (or may not) be misguided, but it's hardly racist, homophobic, abusive etc.

Isn't that the sort of thing they might do in "the other place"? :wink:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:14 am

Mike Truran wrote:Carl, why would you even consider censoring it? It may (or may not) be misguided, but it's hardly racist, homophobic, abusive etc.

I received a couple of complaints so rather than comment to each person I passed a general response and closed both tickets.

There was a minor forum crash this morning as well (not related) that may have caused the odd duplicate post or mysql error.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Marinel Miu

Post by Marinel Miu » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:44 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:Carl, why would you even consider censoring it? It may (or may not) be misguided, but it's hardly racist, homophobic, abusive etc.

I received a couple of complaints so rather than comment to each person I passed a general response and closed both tickets.

There was a minor forum crash this morning as well (not related) that may have caused the odd duplicate post or mysql error.
I don't know exactly what post of mine hurt so many feelings, enough to be reported.
If it is the post that says " some young players might be tempted to cheat", it was an answer to a post regarding the fact that FIDE will give you the possibility to get rating just by playing online. I said initially that this will end the over the board tournaments that offer mainly ratings and I received a response that you cannot replace the OTB while playing online because some people might get extra help. I just replied back sharing my point of you in the same time agreeing the other post.
To my defense, for the puritans reporting my post, simply facts of the players caught cheating in tournaments, show that they were almost exclusively young.