Atkins Memorial (Leicester)

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Roger de Coverly

Atkins Memorial (Leicester)

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:15 am

In recent years, this has been scheduled in the late November/ early December period.

If it's to take place this year, publicity and promotion have been absent.

The website
http://www.leicesterchess.co.uk/
only points at last year's event.

Phil Neatherway

Re: Atkins Memorial (Leicester)

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:20 am

And the website still features me in the photo on the homepage!

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:16 am

I am afraid that the Atkins is another fall out of the e2-e4 situation. As I understand it, the event will not take place.

People in Leicestershire have been waiting for Sean Hewitt to organise the event and by the time it was realised that nothing was in place, it was too late to start organising.

I will be happy to be proved wrong on either count.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Neil Graham wrote:I am afraid that the Atkins is another fall out of the e2-e4 situation. As I understand it, the event will not take place.

People in Leicestershire have been waiting for Sean Hewitt to organise the event and by the time it was realised that nothing was in place, it was too late to start organising.

I can confirm that the H.E.Atkins won't take place this year for the reasons outlined in the quote above.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:I am afraid that the Atkins is another fall out of the e2-e4 situation. As I understand it, the event will not take place.

I can confirm that the H.E.Atkins won't take place this year for the reasons outlined in the quote above.
Hmmm. I haven't organised the Atkins since I left Leicester in 2010. I have helped out in 3 of the intervening 5 years though.

If only Neil had consulted me earlier. :)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:57 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: Hmmm. I haven't organised the Atkins since I left Leicester in 2010. I have helped out in 3 of the intervening 5 years though.
That's not the impression an observer from outside the Midlands would have. That impression would be that it was treated as a semi detached part of the e2e4 series with very similar playing conditions.

(edit)
I may have formed the wrong impression from the marketing of the Atkins. Similar round times, same move rates, same organisers etc, results reports.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... ns#p149595

(/edit)

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:50 pm

It's not for me to say what I believe the roles and responsibilities around the H.E.Atkins to be. Someone from Leicestershire needs to do that.

The 2014 entry form on line shows the contact to be "Sean Hewitt" and the address to which entries had to be sent as an address in Stockport, Cheshire.