New Chess Club for Children Aged 7-16 in SW16

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Jonathan Bryant

New Chess Club for Children Aged 7-16 in SW16

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:45 am

A new chess club for children aged 7-16 in the SW16 will be starting up on Friday 20th March.

http://www.streathamknights.co.uk/#!fri ... club/c1k84
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Robertson

Re: New Chess Club for Children Aged 7-16 in SW16

Post by David Robertson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 pm

If this gets around, you could be inundated. A few years back, my local cricket club advertised Friday night coaching for kids. Within a few weeks, they had 150 turn up. Hardly any could play cricket, of course. But no matter: the scheme looked to be a success.

And then the penny dropped.

At £5.00 per head (£7.50 for two) for 90 minutes, this represented the bargain of a lifetime. Grateful parents would drop off their sprogs, then nip off and do the weekend shopping, or whatever. It was the cheapest child-minding they'd ever seen. Eventually the cricket club caught on, and shifted the sessions to a Monday. Fifteen turned up then.

Sad and disspiriting. But true

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:34 pm

150 would be a problem. I’ll only be taking 8 chess sets.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:59 am

Back in the nineties I saw a junior chess club descend into a glorified child minding service. My personal suggestion would be to put a disclaimer saying that a certain standard of behaviour is expected and that you reserve the right to exclude children if their behaviour is unacceptable.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:43 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote: My personal suggestion would be to put a disclaimer saying that a certain standard of behaviour is expected and that you reserve the right to exclude children if their behaviour is unacceptable.

I’ve run many events - tournaments, structured chess courses, one-off training days etc - and I’ve yet to find this to be an issue. Maybe because of how I market my chess events, who knows?

Anyhoo, a disclaimer - aside from being unnecessary - strikes me as rather unwelcoming.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:38 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:150 would be a problem. I’ll only be taking 8 chess sets.
:lol:

Good luck, great idea
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:00 pm

I was going to post a niggle about 7-16 being a bit of a wide age range but that's a wider topic. As Mick says, I hope the new venture goes well.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:As Mick says, I hope the new venture goes well.
Thanks to you both.

It already is going well I think. :-). Half the places for the first night are already spoken for. That's less than a week after the initial announcement and in my experience take up usually increases the nearer you get to the date of the event.

More generally, two existing chess clubs not withstanding, there was - other than the hit or miss of after school chess clubs - no provision for junior chess in Streatham before I started a year ago. Now there is. That alone would be encouraging but more than that numbers have been decent (without becoming enormous) and seem to be growing. Beyond the numbers, my events are hugely more mixed in terms of gender and ethnicity than you would normally expect to find in traditional chess clubs.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 pm

Like the poster etc. Looks great. Expect you will be full. Best wishes.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks Nick.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:43 pm

The very best of luck with this. We'll share experiences some time, I hope.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks Paul - and definitely hope so.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 am

On the off-chance that anybody is interested:-

the event was oversubscribed. On the evening two children (who’d paid) didn’t turn up so I was able to take somebody on the reserve list.

Predominantly boys but about 25% of those attending were girls. Not satisfactory and yet at the same time much better than most adult chess clubs manage (certainly better than mine). As with my previous events, the club was much more diverse in terms of ethnicity than traditional chess clubs

The children who came along were all primary school aged. This was as expected as I do most of my work in primary schools and I (deliberately) made on conscious effort to market the club to older children. This is something that I will begin to do in the future when I get things more established.

Also as expected, there was no sign of any children being dumped as childminding service. There was one lad who had been encouraged to attend with his older brother who didn’t enjoy it hugely, but that was he’d been persuaded to 'give it a go' and his mother had approached me about this beforehand.

I’ll be starting a weekly club after Easter. Around half of the places are already booked and I haven’t really started advertising it yet.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 am

Yes, interested, and thanks for the progress report - I think posting here may serve as a type of diary, and looking back may help you (and others) reach conclusions and learn lessons?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Mick.

Easter Holidays coming up. When I get a moment I might knock-up a quick 'So you want to start a junior chess club?' post.