Glorney Festival

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Andy Howie

Glorney Festival

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:26 pm

The Annual Glorney Festival finished today

Glorney - 1st Scotland, 2nd England, 3rd Ireland, 4th Wales
Gilbert - 1st England A, 2nd Scotland, 3rd England B, 4th Wales
Robinson - 1st England, 2nd Scotland (by 1 board point!), 3rd Ireland, 4th Wales
Stokes - 1st England, 2nd Scotland, 3rd Ireland, 4th Wales

Well done to all!

Matt Bridgeman

Re: Glorney Festival

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:42 pm

I think they said at prize giving it was the first time Scotland had won the Glorney Cup in something like 58 years!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:03 am

One of the amusing things about the "prize-giving" was that none of the main named trophies were presented since no one had thought to get them returned in time: priceless!

I gather that there was much parental unease at the level of competence of the organisation of the various events.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:13 am

Well you know it was a terrific venue - Stirling University was very pretty and quiet with all the students on summer holidays. We’ve been to a few internationals, and the food was actually really decent too. Great England head of delegation. The winning teams all got nice marble base trophies individually. I think what the chess parents probably would hope is that Ireland (Gilbert) and some of the other European countries accept invitations to return next year. And that perhaps Federations can get along with each other.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 am

I can say that the lack of permanent trophies had nothing to do with the Scottish organisers.

I would normally ask the person making comments such as John Upham to expand on those, but I assume it is just John doing his normal fishing trip in the hope of finding something to turn into a mountain from its proverbial molehill.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:50 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:13 am
I think what the chess parents probably would hope is that Ireland (Gilbert) and some of the other European countries accept invitations to return next year.
It's not the event that it once was, so is it surprising that countries lose interest in it?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:58 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:50 am
It's not the event that it once was, so is it surprising that countries lose interest in it?
England don't seem to have sent a particularly strong Glorney team in comparison to previous years, even 2019.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:58 am
Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:50 am
England don't seem to have sent a particularly strong Glorney team in comparison to previous years, even 2019.
Well the invitations went out in good time. There is a slight sense of adjustment to post-Covid times. Last year was still a hybrid year, and there’s been some Lichess online events before that. It is a lovely event and we should definitely not dismiss it or write it off. In comparison to how murderous some of the World/European Youth and World Cadets can be, these events often feel very positive. And a lot of the underrated players were really quite good this year, they probably just hardly ever get FIDE games. I hope next year perhaps France and the Netherlands come back.

Value for money can’t be underestimated. Player and parent, 3 nights bed and breakfast with two rooms in the university halls, lunch and dinner served instantly, 2 courses lunch, 3 courses dinner. 6 FIDE games. Total cost not including fuel, £480. I think when we did the World Cadets in Spain, it must have been £3000.