Juniors with autism and ADHD

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Paul McKeown

Re: Juniors with autism and ADHD

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:27 pm

Children with autism spectrum disorders can do well at chess. However, one should be aware that the terms can cover a very wide range of behaviours and conditions. Not every child with these labels are the same, nor do they all react the same to chess.

Many do well at chess, as the game has a structure and follows predictable rules. What is important to understand is that the children concerned often react badly to sensory overload and to disorder. If the class or group around them is misbehaving, they may overreact or react badly, so it important to keep the behaviour of the group in control. Furthermore you may find that you have to remind the child concerned to keep focus and on task, as they can be easily distracted by external factors. Those children with autism or ADHD who learn to play chess and learn to keep focus despite distraction can often become strong players.

However, once more, many behaviours and conditions can be lumped under these labels. Oppositional behaviour, which might include, for example, throwing the pieces off the board unpredictably, or beating themselves with the pieces or, even other children or adults, may prove to be beyond the capability of a junior chess club to deal with.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Roger Lancaster

Re: Juniors with autism and ADHD

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:32 pm

If my post has opened up a wider discussion, and might even lead to some practical outcomes, this forum will have served a useful purpose. My experience of children with autism/ADHD is limited but, as far as the autism is concerned, that doesn't seem to be the major issue in our case. Mother, who seems very supportive, says that "(name) really enjoys chess" which confirms my observational conclusions. Also, as relative newcomers to the game go, he appears good at it. ADHD is a different matter because disruption is not welcome by most of those trying to play serious chess. What seems clear to me is that disruptive behaviour mainly or only (not yet sure which!) occurs between games so part of the answer is to minimise these interludes. However, as I said earlier, another chess coach with more experience than I will be assisting over coming weeks and, if as a result I feel I have something to share, I will return here. Meantime my grateful thanks to others, particularly but not only Richard James, for their thoughts.