JUNIOR 4NCL

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Adam Raoof

Re: JUNIOR 4NCL

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Do we know why the thread was locked?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 pm

It was locked at the request of Andrew Martin, who wanted to make sure the posts couldn't be edited while he "checked something out". While he didn't specify which posts exactly, or why, I'm guessing he's referring to this:
Krishna Shiatis wrote: I can't believe you are asking this question after everything we (the parents) have told you. (Please see my open letter to the ECF and all the parents comments who were brave enough to speak)

English Junior Chess has been strangled from the top down. Participation is falling because nobody has been listening when we have told them what the problems are and nobody has done anything.

You do not think about the children and how to encourage and inspire them. You write horrid things about them and generally you put down parents who speak up. How many people are really going to continue in an environment like this?

The worst thing of all is that despite the fact that participation is falling and that the ECF is struggling financially, still, still, you are ignoring the future of chess in this country - your own juniors - and apart from the select few at the top, you are systematically shooting the rest in the proverbials.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Aha. I did notice that post. However sometimes people post in haste, and edit at leisure before the post has been seen. Locking prevents that, which doesn't give them the time to calm down and reconsider!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 pm

I am still of the opinion that locking was a mistake in this instance
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:43 pm

I think it's pretty outrageous really. People must have the right to edit their own posts - it is easy to post something which you then subsequently regret. In an ideal world of course all posts are carefully thought through in advance, but this doesn't always happen. I wonder what the legal consequences would be if somebody was sued for a post which they were wilfully prevented from being given the opportunity to correct?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:45 pm

There is no real point given the automated Twitter feed and the speed at which Google crawls
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:There is no real point given the automated Twitter feed and the speed at which Google crawls
Automated twitter feed? Must admit i never knew about that. Sounds like a good excuse to go into exile...

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Why is it again, a post about something promising and helpful to our juniors is being ruined by something political and petty. There is just too much nonsense out there. Why can't people just stop faffing and moaning about things and actually do something useful like actually HELP the juniors?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:22 am

Sabrina

excellent question, no answer sorry
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:Why is it again, a post about something promising and helpful to our juniors is being ruined by something political and petty. There is just too much nonsense out there. Why can't people just stop faffing and moaning about things and actually do something useful like actually HELP the juniors?

Now that would be far too simple

I do not think it right that a poster should request that a thread should be locked without a detailed explanation. This puts the Moderators in a difficult position and they then have to deal with the fallout of their decision yet the poster (in this instance) remains silent -the thread originator and the forum deserve an explanation

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Why is it not right for someone to ask for a thread to be locked ? Surely anyone is entitled to ask a question. It is up to the moderator to make the decision - and on this occasion the decision was to lock it, so how can that be the fault of the member who asked ?

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:Why is it again, a post about something promising and helpful to our juniors is being ruined by something political and petty. There is just too much nonsense out there. Why can't people just stop faffing and moaning about things and actually do something useful like actually HELP the juniors?
A very good question Sabrina. I note with interest that the debate on EC funding received over 800 posts, the open letter to CJ 240 but the J4NCL only 40. The easiest and quickest solution to the EC funding problems is to increase the number of people playing chess - hence the Junior 4NCL, your (excellent) coaching and these posts. There is something very satisfying about parents coming up to you a few years after you have forgotten that you taught their children to play chess and saying thank you. My sons benefitted greatly of the support and organisational abilities of the the likes of Tim Onions and Lester Millin and I hope that others will do the same. So parents and children might like attend the next Junior 4 NCL event and to see the fun, the appreication of both parents and children alike as we teach them and (hopefully) this time Nick Pert losing at exchange chess!

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Alan Kennedy wrote: and (hopefully) this time Nick Pert losing at exchange chess!
It's only cos he had an amazing partner :)

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:
Alan Kennedy wrote: and (hopefully) this time Nick Pert losing at exchange chess!
It's only cos he had an amazing partner :)
I can just see the quote now "Nick Pert loses at Exchange chess to 8 year old who could only just see over the queen" - reads well dont you think!

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 am

This from Sabrina:
Hello All

I hope that you have all had a great Christmas and New Year.

I am trying to make everyone aware of the great tournament that is the
Junior 4NCL that is coming up very soon. We have quality games of chess
being played in a quality venue (the lovely Barcelo hotels) as well as
FREE chess coaching from top coaches.

I would strongly recommend this event as it is available for all
abilities and the children all have fun. There are two more weekends
left to be played and the first one is at the end of this month, so
please book your places quickly.

I am hoping that you all can form girls' teams as you know I am all
about supporting girls' chess. You can form a team with whoever you
like, calling your team whatever you like. However, if you do not know
who to form a team with but are interested, then please do contact me
and I will form a team for you and put you in the appropriate division.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sabrina
Just a few postscripts:

1. Team lists and entry fees to me (Mike Truran) please.

2. Entry guidelines (incl. my contact details for team lists and entry fees) are here: http://www.4ncl.co.uk/jn_entry_form.htm

3. Teams can enter on a per weekend basis if they missed the first weekend - see entry guidelines for details.